We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Cherbourg to Rouen

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Cherbourg to Rouen

I am trying to decide on a cruise in September. If I do take it, I will end up in Cherbourg on a Monday (12 hours in port). Is it feasible to try to take the train to Rouen? As a fan of Impressionism and Monet in particular, I would love to see the Rouen Cathedral. However, I don't want to waste too much time or money to get there. Would there be enough in Cherbourg to keep busy, without any money spent on admissions or tours? Taking to the train to Le Havre would also be an option. Thanks in advance!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,642 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Cherbourg to Rouen

http://www.cherbourgtourism.com/

I don't know about trains, so I don't know if a visit to Rouen would be feasable in the time you have available.

Here is some info about the port

…port-cherbourg.com/cruises/…

It is worth perusing the port website, it seems that Cherbourg has "Cruise Greeters" who may well be able to help you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Cherbourg to Rouen

Essex, thank you for your response. The websites should be helpful in letting me what know is in the area.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,411 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Cherbourg to Rouen

This is not a practical idea. If you look at a map, you will find it is some 250 km (155 miles) from Cherbourg to Rouen. There are no fast trains in this area. A train journey from Cherbourg to Rouen would take at least 3 hours and more usually 5 hours.

A train to Le Havre would take 4 to 6 hours each way.

You can get train times and costs in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which usually has higher prices and does not list all the trains.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Cherbourg to Rouen

Thank you, sydneychick. I also realized the distance myself by looking at the train schedules. I would have to stick to somewhere closer to Cherbourg. Do you know of any nearby towns that might be nice to visit? I have read mixed things across travel forms about whether there much to do/see in Cherbourg. Also, thank you for the tip about avoiding RailEurope's prices. We wish we had known that during our first trip to Europe several years ago!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Cherbourg to Rouen

You could rent bikes and go biking in the nearby countryside for a few hours.

6. Re: Train from Cherbourg to Rouen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 20:16