We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest Car Hire in Caen or Lille?

Bribie Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Honest Car Hire in Caen or Lille?

I've just fallen victim to the fake damage Scam by Europcar in Italy. I'll fight that battle another day, trouble is I have another car booked with them in France and having now done some research it seems all the other major car hire companies are pulling the same scam. Can anyone put me onto a small local hire car company in either Lille or Caen that won't rip me off?

Thanks in advance

5 replies to this topic
Pontorson, France
Level Contributor
248 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Honest Car Hire in Caen or Lille?

Are you currently in France?

Believe it or not, you can get a pretty decent car rental at the big box store, Super U.

Check online in both Caen and Lille.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Honest Car Hire in Caen or Lille?

What do you call the "fake damage scam"? In all cases you should examine your vehicle carefully and take photos of any damage + have it noted on the documentation before driving off.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for France
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Honest Car Hire in Caen or Lille?

The only renatal company in France I had " problems " with is Hetz. It's more the service aspect and the way they handled the issue, I didn't like in fact.

I rented many times with Avis and Europcar without any problems and had great service each time.

england
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Honest Car Hire in Caen or Lille?

It may be too late for you on this occasion. I always use an agent based in the UK when I hire cars in Europe and I have never had a problem when I have booked through Economy Car Hire. All the information is clear re refuelling policies of the different companies they deal with. I have always avoided Gold Car as they had a dreadful reputation although I believe they have recently been taken over by one of the bigger companies.

Despite all the above I always check the car thoroughly before I take it and take photographs of the car before I leave it, including one to show the mileage and fuel gauge in the full position. I make sure the staff see me taking the photos too for good measure.

Bexley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Honest Car Hire in Caen or Lille?

We used enterprise at the airport. No problem. Nice car. Friendly staff. Did take pictures of car as dropped keys off in key safe. Got call later to say my deposit would be refunded in full as all ok. Would recommend.

Reply to: Honest Car Hire in Caen or Lille?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted