We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DDay beach tour from Caen

Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
DDay beach tour from Caen

We will be visiting Caen by train from Paris for an overnight in July 2018 and staying in Ouistreham in a friends apartment. We have 2 kids aged 12, 9. Husband is big military history buff and wants to see DDay beaches and museum. The rest of the family- not so much.

1. Are there any tours of maybe 2-3 hours that my husband could just take on his own? All the tours seems to be 5 hours to a full day. We have limited time, arriving lunchtime and leaving the following morning with one afternoon to look around.

2, Should we rent a car to travel around for the day or just use buses. There is a bus from Caen to Ouistreham.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions,

6 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: DDay beach tour from Caen

You don't seem to appreciate just how big the area that encompasses the D-Day beaches is, it takes 2 hours just to drive one-way along that coastal strip without stopping to actually see anything and Ouistreham is located right at one end of it.

I am not sure what museum your husband is referring to but if it is the Memorial at Caen, that museum concerns itself with placing D-Day and the rest of WWII in context, rather than with the battles themselves. It is fascinating and very educational but needs a full two DAY visit to do it justice.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,744 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: DDay beach tour from Caen

You/he could easily spend a couple of hours at Pegasus Bridge, which is not too far away from Ouistreham.

Maybe your friends will know the best way to get there.

It might be taxi-worthy for not too outrageous a fare!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
1 review
3. Re: DDay beach tour from Caen

welcome,

there is a WWII/Peace Museum in Caen.

there is also one in Bayeux and the Bayeux Tapestry too. If i remember correctly its a 30 minute train ride from Caen.

you can look at google maps for both but when i was there, i walked to all of the sites in Bayeux. The train station to the musuem isnt far and the Bayeux tapestry isnt that far either.

from Caen train station i took a cab with a father/son when we didnt find the correct bus stop. I think the cab fare between us 3 was about 20 Euros but again, im going by memory and there was a bus that stopped there too from the train station.

Yes, the Normandy area is huge.

If he wants to see a beach, he may want to think about a taxi or car. But i would do some reseach on what is where and in between so that he may get more bang for his buck.

good luck.

Bayeux, France
Level Contributor
172 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: DDay beach tour from Caen

Advice: change slightly your plan, go and stay in Bayeux. It's closer to the DDay beaches and that is where the guided tours are starting (never from Caen, 5h minimum).

There is a big chance the whole family can enjoy the visit. Seen plenty of kids and women asking way more questions at the end of the tour than their history buff husband.

If not interested by DDay, Bayeux got a cathedral, the world famous Bayeux Tapestry, cute old streets and a Wonderful main Street full of locals boutiques.

Bayeux, France
Level Contributor
172 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: DDay beach tour from Caen

From Caen, for one afternoon, no tours. Too far from the beaches.

From Bayeux, afternoon tour starting at 1pm possible. Return around 6pm.

The Normandy region is big. Spending just an afternoon won't make it justice. Try your best.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: DDay beach tour from Caen

On a full day tour you only see half of the zone. A half day is better than nothing but in 2 hours you see nothing.

The Caen Memorial is a good museum but it's about everything except D-day. There is just one small'room on d-day.

Edited: 05 March 2018, 08:39
Reply to: DDay beach tour from Caen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted