We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caen/Cherbourg to Bayeux

LA
5 posts
1 review
Caen/Cherbourg to Bayeux

We are trying to ferry out of Portsmouth to Caen or Cherbourg on a Sun. July 8. From there we had hoped to rent a car and drive to Bayeux for the rest of our journey, then return the car somewhere around Saint Cloud on the 11th. I'm finding that Hertz and Avis offices are closed on Sunday. i read on this website that someone suggested taking a train from Caen to Bayeux (where we could rent a car later), but I can't seem to find the info to tell me prices for the train. Can you help? We are 2 adults and 2 children, ages 13 and 10.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Caen/Cherbourg to Bayeux

Bayeux is much closer to Caen than Cherbourg for starters.

The ferry does not actually dock at Caen but at Ouistreham, about 15km away. Europcar will rent a car on a Sunday for a small extra fee (about 20€ IIRC) from the Caen railway station which you can reach by shuttle or taxi from the ferry terminal.

It's only a short train ride from Caen to Bayeux, about 20 minutes, and costs less than 5€ one way, again typing from rather vague memory. The SNCF (French rail) site voyages-sncf.com will give you more definite answers.

I'd use autoeurope.com for the car hire bit, but check the Europcar site direct also for office locations and hours. www.europcar.com

Good luck!

Draper, Utah
Level Contributor
70 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Caen/Cherbourg to Bayeux

Is Eurocar a better bargain than the large American rental car companies?

3. Re: Caen/Cherbourg to Bayeux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 20:20