We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: September 28-October 4

long island
Level Contributor
52 posts
127 reviews
Trip Report: September 28-October 4

We arrived in Bayeux by rental car from Dinan on Sept. 28. I had an expresso at a brasserie in the center of town, handing the barman a 20 euro bill. He gave me change for a 5 euro--just a cautionary tale and the only negative part of this wonderful place.

This is an easy city in which to drive. After experiencing the hills and narrow roads of Honfleur and Dinan, this was cake.

We stayed in the Hotel Sainte Croix which we would recommend without hesitation (reviewed separately).

On Saturday, there is a very nice market until 13:00 in the center of town--it was the best of the 3 we saw in France, selling everything from clothes to live poultry and rabbits.

For 2 days we visited the Utah Beach museum and the Arromanches museums. We went by car and found it easy to navigate and very moving.

I returned our rental car as originally agree to Caen. We used Auto-Europe and were generally pleased. We obtained the car in Rouen and used it for 8 days. One problem we did encounter was trying to return the car with a full gas tank. We went to a service station and there were no attendants and the machine did not accept my American credit card--I know that this issue has been noted elsewhere, but I thought I would update it a little.

On Oct. 3, we went on the overlord tour of Omaha and Utah beaches and other numerous D-day sites. The tour cost 85 euro p.p.; it meets behind the Churchill hotel (a big meeting place for many tours) and we were grouped with 6 other people in a van led by a very experience tour guide. Even though the day was rainy, everyone on the tour left with uplifted spirits. I booked this tour 3 weeks before and could not get one of their other tours, so if you are interested you should probably book early.

The following day we did laundry-- 3 laundromats in the center of town that never seem busy and then visited the tapestry museum, very well organized--no problem with crowds, I would allow about 2 hours.

We left for Paris by train on Thursday. B.t.w., we were told that there is a 25% discount for people over 60.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
1,193 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.

Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

Thanks for the trip report. Did you purchase train tickets ahead of time?

And what did you do about the gas situation before returning the rental car?

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

From where did your trip to Bayeux originate? Paris? If so, was it difficult to travel by train if you speak very little French? Also, if you came from Paris, what hotel did you stay at there? Any other insights you can offer about the trip would be very helpful to us.

Please email me back at:

ajohansson7@gmail.com

Thank you.

long island
Level Contributor
52 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

I purchased the train tickets in Caen a few days before our departure from Bayeux after I had returned the rental car at an Auto Europe site near the train station. B.T.W., it was second class reserved and it was fine.

On the way to Caen the first gas station I went to had no attendants, my credit card was not accepted by the machine. My second try was successful at a manned gas station which was fortunate because the owner helped us with directions and we paid for the gas in cash.

long island
Level Contributor
52 posts
127 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

We started from Paris and stayed at a hotel which is about a 10 minute walk to Gare St. Lazare, the Astoria Opera. The cost was 358 euros for 2 nights. I liked the location and their cancellation policy and would use it again.

We took a train to Rouen and then rented a car, but if time is an issue I would be comfortable taking the train directly to Bayeux.

Bayeux is a great staging area for the D-day sites and Mont St. Michel.

I hope that this is helpful.

long island
Level Contributor
52 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

I'm new at this--I tried to answer your questions in the general forum. I hope that this is sufficient, if you have any further questions, I will address them properly. Sorry.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
1,193 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

Zippity - I just took a train from Paris to Caen and did not have to speak one word of French. I did not speak to anyone the entire train trip. You should not have any problems on the train if you do not speak French. I do not speak French and have never had a problem in any part of France.

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

Very helpful. Thank you very much.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 15:29
Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

That's great. Thanks.

10. Re: Trip Report: September 28-October 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 22:18