We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

Hi,

we will be arriving in Paris on Aug 15 and will leave out on Aug. 23. My mom is flying from Boston and me from Barcelona so she will be jetlagged. My idea is the following:

15-Paris to recoup

16-Day trip to Versaille

17-Day trip to Fontainbleu

18.Rouen

19-Train to Bayeux

20 and 21- D day beaches

22- late train to charles de gualle airport and sleep in a hotel there as my mom will need to be at the airport early

what does everyone thing? any modifications? suggestions?

any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

12 replies to this topic
Grasse, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

You don't want a car in Paris to be sure, but consider renting and being independent of public transport for that trip to Rouen onwards. If you rent from Hertz/Avis/Europcar you can leave it at the Airport at no extra charge, and you might even save money.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
420 posts
82 reviews
2. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

I agree with getting a car. You can take the train from Paris to Rouen and tour the city and spend the night. Next morning, pick up a car at the train station and drive to Bayeux. It's easy to get to all of the D-Day sights and a car really provides the best way to see everything you want to see. You can then drive back to CDG and drop the car off.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
3. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

Thank your replies but we really dont want a car. I will be with my mother and it will just cause problems. I thought a day trip from paris to rouen but then take the train from paris to bayeux and then bayeux directly to cdg airport.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
420 posts
82 reviews
4. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

Your train itinerary works just fine. Without a car, I would consider taking a tour (or two) based in Bayeux. You should be able to arrange a full D-Day sites tour as well as a day tour to Mt. St. Michel if that is of interest. We used Bayeux Shuttle a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the full day tour. There are several other tour operators in the ares so plenty of good ones to choose from.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

There is no need at all for you to have a car. I find travel much more carefree when you don't have to worry about renting cars, also. There are several outfits that do D-Day tours out there that do excellent jobs. In fact, probably much more enjoyable that doing it yourself.

I used Normandy Sightseeing Tours and they were great but Overlord Tours is another popular option.

http://www.normandy-sightseeing-tours.com/

As far as the late train, I presume you mean a train from Bayeux to Paris and then you will take the RER to the airport? Because there is no direct train from Bayeux to Roissy. Unfortunately, the train from Bayeux arrives in Gare St Lazare, then you need to get over to Gare du Nord to take the RER (unless you are taking a taxi from there, of course, with a couple people it might be worth the splurge, that's up to you, cost is 50 euro). But if you take a taxi to a location other than the airport (say a hotel), the price will be higher, most likely, so beware of that. (only the airport route has a fixed fare) If I were you, I probably wouldn't take a late train to the airport, I'd get too tired, but there is a train that leaves Bayeux around 16:30 and arrives at 19:18 into Gare St Lazare. That would be late enough for me. Of course that train isn't direct (you change in Caen) and many are.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
93 reviews
6. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

Therer is no train from Bayeux to CDG. I would suggest taking the train from Bayeux to Paris St-Lazare and then a taxi (just outside the door on the left as you exit the platform with no change in level) to CDG for a fixed fare of €50.

Note spellings - VersailleS, FontainebleAu.

3 posts
7. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

Hi, I am currently working on the same ideas for a trip to Paris with my mom in September. I'm seeing the same issues with transportation to the Normandy Beaches. I was told to do a guided tour from Paris and looks like it's an all day event for around $150 per person. I can't find a way to do it better, so I guess we will spend the extra money for simplicity and low stress.

Here's my itinerary

day 1- recoup and enjoy the hotel in Paris

day 2- Tour Paris Seine River via a hop on/off bus ($21 each) / Paris wine & cheese tasting

day 3- Normandy Beaches Tour

day 4- Rouen Cathedral

day 5- Train to Brussels for the day

day 6- Versailles day trip and Seine River Dinner Cruise 2.5 hour ($120 each)

We plan to stay at the same hotel in Paris the whole trip

Any help you have to offer on deals and ideas you come up with. Have a great trip with your mom!

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

I don't understand your plan : day 3 and 4 (and 5?) are day trips from Paris? If so, that looks like a long holiday visiting train stations and train carriage. Or are you considering renting a car? You should spend the night between Day 3 and 4 in the Bayeux area. If you don't have a car, I think you should skip Rouen.

3 posts
9. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

Also, we wanted to combine some of these, but public transportation is limited.

We have to take a train to Bayeux to start the Normandy Beaches tour. It’s 1.5 hour train ride each way. The tour is 5 hours.

The train ride to Rouen is 1.5 hours each way via public transportation.

So those are each simple day trips. It would complicate things to pack, take luggage to a new hotel and go through the check in process, then check out. To me it is easier to do the individual day trips

3 posts
10. Re: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!

Skipping Rouen is not an option. It’s my #1 sight to see.

We aren’t renting a car. Looks like public transportation is easy from Paris to Rouen and Bayeux.

The train to Brussels is optional - it’s what my mom wants to do, but packing too many trips into one week could change her mind

Reply to: Help with Itinerary pleaaaaaaase!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted