We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Monet's Gardens and Normandy

los gatos ca.
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Monet's Gardens and Normandy

We could use some help with timing. We plan on leaving Bruges and taking the train to Paris Nord? where we plan on renting a car. We plan on continuing on to Giverny, Monet's Gardens. I think we should plan on spending the night, preferably close to the garden's in a charming small hotel or B &B

(suggestions welcome) We could spend the late afternoon evening exploring surrounding area and going to Monet's garden's and museum in the morning. After spending the morning we would continue on to the Normandy area. I was thinking Bayveux as a base. Is that too far to drive for an afternoon? We would like to spend 2 nights touring the ww2 sites and on the morning we are going to leave see St. Michel Do you think we should spend the 2nd night closer to St. Michel so we are there the evening before and the next morning? If we left St. Michael around noon can we drive to Sarlet in the rest of the day? Do we need more time? We are seniors so don't want to move through things without seeing them. Plan on spending 4 days in the Dordogne before flying to London from Bergerac.

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Normandy Spearhead Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
OverlordTour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Normandy Sightseeing Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,768 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Monet's Gardens and Normandy

Just a technicality: Giverny is in Normandy, so you will not be travelling from there to Normandy.

Bayeux is a good centre for visiting the 1944 invasion area, and is about 2h15 by road from Giverny. However, it would take almost 9 hours of driving (plus stops) to get from Bayeux to Sarlat-la-Caneda.

You can get detailed driving directions, reasonable estimates of driving time, and costs (tolls and fuel) from www.viamichelin.com

Mentioned in this post
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
373 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Monet's Gardens and Normandy

Mont St Michel to Sarlat sounds like too long of a driving day. We did it from The Loire area, and that was plenty long.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Monet's Gardens and Normandy

Rather than taking a train all the way into central Paris then driving out of the city from there why not take a train to Amiens or Rouen and picking up a car there? Might be less hassle.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
los gatos ca.
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Monet's Gardens and Normandy

Thank You, everyone. I will look at Amiens and Rouen To take the train to and rent a car there.

Also, I think we will put one night between St. Michel and Sarlet. I know there is a lot to see along the way. Any suggestions for a lovely place to spend the night?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Monet's Gardens and Normandy

I agree that it's too long to drive from Mont Saint Michel (not Saint Michel or Michele or Michael) to Sarlat (not Sarlet) in one afternoon/evening. I recommend www.viamichelin.com to plan your routes. It will give you route options together with estimated times and costs, as well as other information.

There are many possible places to stop for one night on that drive depending primarily on which of the viamichelin recommended routes (or other route) you take and how soon/late you want to stop. Have a look for example at Saumur and Chinon if following a more central route through the Loire Valley, or Clisson to the South East of Nantes if you plan to follow a more Westerly route.

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Reply to: Visiting Monet's Gardens and Normandy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bayeux