We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing trains at Lille Europe

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
changing trains at Lille Europe

I have just realised that I've only allowed 38 mins between my train arriving from Lyon and my Eurostar train leaving from Lille. I have seen it recommended that you should allow 40 mins minimum to change platforms and check in. Does anyone know how far away the Eurostar check in is from the other platform and whether there is any flexibility with check in times at Eurostar (I was told check in closes 30 mins ahead of departure). I will also be travelling with an elderly relative!

50 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
2 reviews
41. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

It depends exactly where you want to go.

The Grand Place is about 15 minutes walk from Lille Europe station, which is where trains from London arrive.

You can also get the metro to the station Rihour, which is close to the Grand Place and is in an area full of shops and restaurants.

A taxi from the station to somewhere near the Grand Place would cost around €10.

Warrington
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
42. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

I am going to Lille in March, am I likely to see a mix of freight and passenger trains using

Lille Europe station and whats the most likely the best time for freight workings .Also am I

likely to have a problem taking photos being my hobby ,do I have to get permission

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,050 posts
5 reviews
43. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

You won't see freight trains at either Europe or Flandres stations in Lille.

While I doubt whether you would have a problem with taking the odd quick-snap of the train you have just alighted from or are about to board, attempting to remain on any of the platforms at Lille Europe to take photographs is likely to lead to a close-up view of the unfriendly end of a loaded rifle. The station is always a secure area because it is served by Eurostar trains and, with a state of emergency in France at the moment, the soldiers stationed permanently there will act first and ask questions afterwards.

Warrington
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
44. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

Thankyou for your reply ,I will certainly take your advice

Roger P

Warrington
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
45. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

Further on to my question on viewing and photographing trains is there anywhere safe in the vicinity of Lille that I can spot and photograph trains

Roger P.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
31 reviews
46. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

From the Pont de Flandres bridge you get a good view of all the trains entering/leaving Flandres station. Lille-Europe station isn't as interesting.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,050 posts
5 reviews
47. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

The Pont de Flandres will indeed give you good views of all trains serving the Gare de Flandres, however that station is a terminus and there will only be (a good variety of) passenger trains serving it. The Pont lies immediately north of the well-signed Grand Palais venue about 15 minutes walk from the Europe station.

When I was exhibiting at the Grand Palais back in April I did notice a number of freight trains using the avoiding line and they should be visible from the bridges further south which carry the D146 road and which seem to be called the Pont de Tournai and the Rue Saint-Amond. Traditionally, the SNCF ran very few freight trains on Mondays but I don't know if that is still the case now that there are so many operators.

You might find it useful to use Google Satellite View and Street View to check on possible vantage points.

Given the current security situation, you may still attract police attention so make sure that you carry your passport and, if you a member of any railway or model railway clubs, it might just be helpful to have their membership cards on you. I suspect though that the police would quickly judge that you are just another "mad Englishman".

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
31 reviews
48. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

The Pont de Flandres is only a 3-minute walk from Lille-Europe station if you use the back exit, a short cut to the Grand Palais. From this exit turn right and walk slightly uphill.

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
49. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

Thanks for your reassuring words. We are two seniors with luggage and I was concerned also with the 26 min connection we have to Angers. Hopefully we do not have to change platforms, but if we do, is there an escalator or an elevator (lift ) ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,519 posts
17 reviews
50. Re: changing trains at Lille Europe

Twenty-six minutes is double the time needed to change trains at almost any station in Europe. Train stations are much more compact than airports, and there are none of the delays cause by checking luggage, security, waiting for luggage, and queuing to get out of one little door at front left.

Reply to: changing trains at Lille Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lille