We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lille to Paris, family of 4

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Lille to Paris, family of 4

(repost from France forum)

Bonjours advisors - writing in French is difficult for me, but I can read it, so please use the language you are most comfortable in.

I'm trying to plot out the final week of our itinerary. There's a short list of "must-do" stops, but I thought I'd do a short 'fishing trip' over here as I start to plan the details. Here's what I have:

We are spending a week on a river boat through Flanders, getting off the boat at 9 am on Saturday, Aug 4, 2018. After researching different options, at the moment, I'm thinking we will get the train to Lille, pick up a rental car and.....fly out of Paris on the morning of August 11th.

The must-do list:

-- Vimy Ridge and Beaumont-Hamel

-- Louvre and Eiffle Tower

-- I'd really like to go back to Versailles, but I can cut it if it doesn't fit.

My rough guide at the moment is 3 days touring in between Lille and Paris, and three days in Paris. We had a 22 hr stop over in Paris a couple of years ago and were able to stay awake long enough to do the outsides of the main tourist sights. I realize you can spend weeks in Paris, but Paris isn't really the point of this trip, so I really just want to hit a couple of key stops and spend the rest of the time exploring other areas.

I'm considering Amiens, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any favourite sites or stops in that general region? I plan for **variety**, so we like everything, but not too much of one thing. Museums, castles, cathedrals, parks, hiking. Food and shopping are not really priorities, although we do like food, so if there are some particular regional specialties we should know about, please mention them. Just with two teenagers, we aren't going to be hitting the Michelin starred restaurants this time.

Not asking anyone to plan my trip, just give me some names to research and things to look at that might fit with that overview. I'll come back with an itinerary for more advice, but its a blank slate right now!

Eglise Saint Maurice
Churches & Cathedrals, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Eglise du Sacre-Coeur
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Eglise saint pierre saint paul
Churches & Cathedrals, Points of Interest & Landmarks
2 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,953 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lille to Paris, family of 4

We're in Amiens at the moment. Its a lovely city and probably good for a day or two. We've been tracing the footsteps of my paternal grandfather who fought at Pozieres in 1915. Lots of interesting WW1 sites between Arras and here if you are interested. The Notre Dame cathedral is jaw-droppingly beautiful!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lille to Paris, family of 4

Thank you. I've been reading up a bit on Amiens and it does look like a good stop.

Wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts or suggestions for natural places? Hikes, walks, parks? One of the highlights of our UK trip was a late afternoon stop in Malham for a short walk to a cliff face that was quite spectacular. I'm just looking for some variety to mix in with the gorgeous historical sites (which I am very much looking forward to as well).

I see there are a couple of parks on the Belgium border and that the Paris-Roubaix race route passes through these locations, so going to do some more digging on what is available in these locations.

Reply to: Lille to Paris, family of 4
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted