We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Toulouse? Montpellier?

Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trips from Toulouse? Montpellier?

Hi all,

So in 2 weeks time I plan to be in either Toulouse, and I only have 2 nights (early morning flight so the first day isn't wasted, and the last day is a late flight, so more or less 3 days really). Now I really really want to visit Montpellier, but do you think a night would be enough? Or should I save this for another trip altogether? Or should I just spend an entire day and night in Toulouse, and then spend 2 full days in Montpellier?

Or should I just do Toulouse and Carcassone instead (was recommended to do Carcassone but don't know enough about it care enough really).

I should mention that when I travel, I don't travel luxuriously and go to fancy restaurants, etc. I try to immerse myself in culture and favourite local spots as much as possible (food markets, popular local restuarants, museums, etc.) and keep it as authentic as possible, as I think that's the best way to learn about other cultures and their history.

Sure, I'll see all the tourist attractions that the city may be known for, but I think I care more about things to do, pretty picturesque places to see, and spending the whole day out, and not that whole chill by the beach do nothin etc. Hope that makes sense??

Thank you!

Edited: 07 April 2017, 04:32
3 replies to this topic
Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Toulouse? Montpellier?

Both Toulouse and Montpellier have enough to occupy you for 2 days.

Maybe save the travel time and visit Montpellier next trip ?

Edited: 07 April 2017, 07:14
Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Toulouse? Montpellier?

Yeah I was thinkin 2-3 full days might be too short for two cities. What do you think about a day in Carcassone then? 3 days in just Toulouse seems like a tad bit excessive no? Or should I do Marseille instead??

As you may have been able to tell, when I have options that are all about the same price ticket-wise, I tend to be indecisive. Was thinking of 2 days in Toulouse and 1 in Carcassone/Montpellier. Or 2 in Montpellier and 1 in Toulouse.

Thanks again!

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
558 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Toulouse? Montpellier?

Why don't you do some reading about Carcassonne (if you haven't already), and see if it interests you? It's a place of remarkable historic interest, with regard to the Middle Ages and the Cathars -- it's very picturesque, although a lot of what you are is actually nineteenth century renovation. Given the opportunity, I would definitely spend a day there (and if you have access to a car, explore nearby villages -- often as beautiful and interesting as Carcassonne, but less "touristy" -- the countryside, and the ruins of the Cathar fortresses.) But I'm also v interested in that period of history, and absent that interest, I don't know why one would go there.

Reply to: Day trips from Toulouse? Montpellier?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted