We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Toulouse

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid to Toulouse

Hubby and I are taking a 17 day tour of Spain, Portugal and Morocco in Sept/Oct 17. At the end of the tour we have 6 days (Monday to Saturday) on our own. Our initial thoughts were to go to Barcelona for a week but after seeing how close Toulouse is we are thinking maybe of spending the time there. I have briefly looked at transport and it seems it will take around 8-9 hours? First question is would there be time to go anywhere else or would you recommend the whole week in Toulouse? We had looked at Bordeaux as well. We are not looking to hire a car so interested in any day tours that you might recommend from Toulouse as well. Any suggestions gratefully received!! Also if anyone can recommend accommodation, not looking for a hotel as such, more a B&B or small apartment, something more personal than a hotel room. Cheers for any help

7 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,183 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Toulouse

it is a fairly long trip by rail because of the mountains. The fast trains go around them, there is slow route through them but saves no time at all. The fastest possible journey by train is 7hrs 34 minutes.

"First question is would there be time to go anywhere else or would you recommend the whole week in Toulouse?"

Plenty of places to visit naerby including Albi and Carcassonne. You will find plenty about both on line. Both are an easy train trip from Toulouse using local trains that you don't have to worry about pre booking etc.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Toulouse

>I have briefly looked at transport and it seems it will take around 8-9 hours?<

That depends on where you are starting from - you haven't said.

If you have 6 days, and are near an airport, you could go anywhere in Europe. Personally, I would favour Barcelona over either Toulouse or Bordeaux, but I suspect you will already spend some time there on your tour so maybe want a change of scene.

If you hire a car (once in France) then either Bordeaux or Toulouse have many attractions outside the cities. From Toulouse you are not far from Carcassonne, the Cathar castles and the Pyrennees. Bordeaux you have the world's best wine region, the bassin d'arcachon, cognac etc.

You could always do a tour - start in, say, Perpignan or Narbonne to collect your hire car, and drive towards Toulouse, then Bordeaux, and fly back to your departure airport (or train) from Bordeaux.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid to Toulouse

Oops, my bad, it was in the title.

I would fly this stretch in your shoes, otherwise you will waste a day sat on a train.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,451 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid to Toulouse

We enter France through Toulouse and spend two days there as it is lovely, but prefer Bordeaux and its atmosphere.

It's your trip of course, but on the other hand we have been going from the area of the midiPyrenees over to the Spanish Basque country and spending time in the area. Have you been to San Sebastian? Bilbao? Just a thought. Food is amazing!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid to Toulouse

Poolounger2 can you tell me why you would favour Barcelona over Toulouse?? We actually do not go to Barcelona on the tour.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,451 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid to Toulouse

Not Poolounger but Barcelona is a large cosmopolitan city with so much going on for it. Toulouse while lovely (the "pink city") is more laid back. Home to Airbus it is a university town. Preference is a personal matter that is largely defined by one's tastes.

While I spend more time in Toulouse, I love Bordeaux more. But lately we have been really enjoying Spain and spending more time there than France. Food is a big draw as well as more "bang for the buck".

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid to Toulouse

Okay thanks for your opinion. I must admit I did not think of the 'bang for you buck' side of things!! Still in two minds but appreciate everyone's opinions

Reply to: Madrid to Toulouse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted