We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it more interesting to visit Montauban or Moissac?

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
56 helpful votes
Is it more interesting to visit Montauban or Moissac?
Save

I am trying chose where to stay 1 night and spend half a day. Is monastery in Moissac of more interest than cathedral/town centre in Montauban?

2 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
22 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: Is it more interesting to visit Montauban or Moissac?
Save

I loved Moissac and have been twice (and may visit again soon). The Abbey and cloisters are the most beautiful anywhere, with truly exquisite carvings. Moissac is also a pleasant small town near the confluence of the rivers Tarn and Garonne. If you decide to visit bear in mind that the tourist office (where you buy the tickets for the cloisters) is closed at lunchtime. You can get guided tours but we much preferred exploring on our own at our own pace. The OT gives you an information leaflet so it's quite easy to do a self-guided tour.

http://tourisme.moissac.fr/fr/visiter-bouger/monuments/l-abbaye-saint-pierre

I've never been to Montauban, even though I've passed several times within just a few miles. It's just never had enough to draw me there, although I understand that the central square is attractive and lively. I also know that Montauban has more luxury hotels. Accommodation in Moissac is generally much simpler.

Moray, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Is it more interesting to visit Montauban or Moissac?
Save

Without knowing your precise requirements, I'd personally opt for Montauban. It's got more to spend your time with.

Reply to: Is it more interesting to visit Montauban or Moissac?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Montauban
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.