We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

France
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

I'm planning to visit Carcassonne in January and wonder if I need an entire day or only a few hours to properly visit la Cite? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

A half day is plenty to walk along the ramparts, visit the castle and stroll through the walled cité at a leisurely pace.

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

I would second that.

France
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

Thanks, I am coming from Spain and the train doesn't get in until 12:30 so I wondered if the afternoon would be enough to see la cite.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

Yes, around three hours should be ample. You may want to consult/print out a map beforehand to help you. Here is the official map:

www2.carcassonne.org/carto/planville.html

Carcassonne, France
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

As well as visiting la cité a walk around the Bastide which is the lower town of Carcassonne itself should not be missed. There are plenty of small shops, restaurants, bars and museums which are all free to visit. The walk over la pont vieux which connects the two gives marvellous views of la montagne noire and the pyrenees on a clear day. The Canal du Midi is also easily accessible. Enjoy your trip !

Carcassonne, France
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

It depends on what you want from a visit , a quick look at the popular highlights should be done in half a day , but if you want to get the real feel for the place, explore all the back streets small museums hidden gardens and the true history of the place then I would suggest a much longer holiday.

I have been going there now for 6 years around 4 or 5 times a year and still havnt seen everything yet , each time I go I find a new delight. Plus if you hire a car it opens up the surrounding country side and small villages.I think you could live there for half a life andnever stop exploring ....But then im in love with the place , Just dont dismiss the place with just an afternoon

7. Re: How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 21:12
Edited: 18 November 2015, 21:12
8. Re: How much time do I need to properly visit la Cite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Carcassonne