We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy to Versailles

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
858 posts
281 reviews
Save Topic
Normandy to Versailles

We will be staying in Normandy next month and would like to visit Versailles by car. I have done a little research and it would appear to be approx 3.5 hours drive from Villedieu les Poeles - the village we are staying in. I just wanted to ask the advice of somebody who may have driven this route in the past. Is it advisable to do this as a day trip? 7 or 8 hours drive in one day seems quite a drive. The train is quicker - but very expensive.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,332 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Normandy to Versailles

The journey is more than 300 km each way, so 3.5 hours (plus any stops) sounds about right. I would not think it worth driving for 7 hours to have a short time at one crowded sight, but the decision is yours.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Normandy to Versailles

Why don't you do Versailles as an 'overnighter' and have a little side trip from Normandy. IF you plan and stay there the night before your visit, then you can be up bright and early and beat the crowds to the door! Getting there before all the 'day trippers' from Paris arrive!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Normandy to Versailles

PS, there are plenty of great and historic sites to see in Normandy, so you can do loads of great day trips there, from Villedieu, for much shorter travel time than going to Versailles in a day will allow!!

4. Re: Normandy to Versailles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 10:32