We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

We're a group of 5 all aged 18 planning a suprise birthday trip in mid May.

We're

A) wondering how much we'll need to eat on a budget(cafes,pattiseries,take out)

B) if the metro/REM are reliable and will get us all around paris including to the airport and disneyland with a 3 day pass

C) how safe we will be as a young group

Any advice anybody has would be much appreciated,thankyou.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,840 Reviews
from US$37.80*
US$43.50
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

The RER/Metro is very good. Fairly inexpensive and goes almost everywhere you'd need to be.

As a group of five young women,you will probably be safe. I wouldn't recommend being in dark or isolated areas very late at night but to be honest your biggest safety concern would be pickpockets so watch your handbags and phones carefully.

As for budget, are you staying at an hotel that includes breakfast? If so, I'd budget around €25-30 for food per day, €6 for water or soft drinks and around €20 per day for entrance fees but this will depend heavily on what type of things you intend to see and do.

A tip is to get snacks and water and soft drinks from a supermarket which will be about 1/3 the price of a cafe.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
2. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

Thats good to know,think its our best option.

Yeah,we thought that we'd be okay as we're in a group, we've read up on dangers of pick pockets and are going to invest in bum bags and not carry all money on us.

We've not yet decided on a hotel but we've found some that offer cheap breakfast however we've not decided on what we'll do yet. How expensive is it to buy bread/quoissants/fruit from local super markets?

We're going to disney for one day so we'll have a day and half of exploring/tourist sight seeing,although we're unsure on what we want to visit/see yet.

We will deffo do that as we get througha lot of water between us haha,thankyou for the reply.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
891 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

Just turn on your radar and stay alert and conscious of who and where you are and you will be safe. Chez Gladines will be your go to place for good, healthy, big salads and some wonderful Basque dishes for very affordable prices. 44 Bd St. Germain (several Paris locations for this famous location for the cash strapped student) Check out their menu and calculate your budget. We like the one on the left bank not far from Notre Dame. Short term transportation passes are a convenience only and don't save much money. For a long weekend, I wouldn't go to the trouble actually. Whenever we are at Bullion Chartier, the hundred plus year old place that is still going strong, we always see large groups of young travelers having a great time so that is a spot you should try not to miss. It is inexpensive and you can go in and order many classic French dishes (maybe just to try escargot or fois gras without getting a bank loan) Watch out for "industrial food" but it won't kill you. Low cost champagne as well. If you want to try French Moroccan stop in for lunch at Le Koriet on Rue Viala after a visit to the Eiffel Tower. You can do a load of laundry while you have lunch. You will be hard pressed to spend 10 euros for some hearty Moroccan food. I wish I had been smart enough to figure a way to get to Paris when I was 18, took me till I was almost 45. You go girl!

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

You will be perfectly safe - Paris is a very safe city. As regards pickpockets - they can be a nuisance in certain locations but the key is to make sure that any valuables are kept securely in an inside pocket, preferably one with a zip or pocket. Nothing screams "tourist!!!" like a bum-bag so I would scrap that idea - it's more likely to make you a target.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

You can pick up a baguette filled with cheese or ham from most small 'sandwicheries' for about €3.50,these are definitely large enough for a good lunch for one and my fiancee and I often shared one for lunch as they are very filling. A croissant or pastry at a patisserie or supermarket varies from around €1.20 to €2.80 depending on what you get. Fruit from a supermarket is generally reasonably priced (two large apples cost around €1.50 depending on weight).

A McDonald's meal costs around €7.50.

I'm not sure about trains to Disney land but I am certain that there are lots of others on here who will have the answer for you.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
6. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

Thankyou all for the advice.

Not going to bother with a bum bag then haha,don't want to stand out as vulnerable even more.

Deffo going to have a sandwich lunch at least one day as they sound good and fit the budget.

Eiffel Tower will deffo be a visit we make and Chaz Gladines sounds right up our street!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10,219 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

You could upgrade your profile to show where you're from.

If you're EU residents, most of museums / monuments are free (ID required).

If you can get on street food 30€ might be enough, but for seat down bistro you will need to up the budget.

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
8. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

We're from the UK,thats something i didn't know cheers.

Street food and supermarkets/cafes are what we're planning.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
147 reviews
9. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

For the same price as a croissant you can get a baguette tradition (a good breadstick) but feed three people

(get ham or cheese or pate to put in it)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
147 reviews
10. Re: Group of Girls visiting for long weekend,advice?

You speak of a long weekend : so stock up on Saturday as very few places are open (even for food) on Sundays