We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st.michel rer

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
st.michel rer

Hi...this may seem like a crazy question but. We are 3 ladies, and I am looking at the RER C line from St.Michel/NotreDame station. One of us uses a mobility scooter, not all the time though.

I am wondering if there is a lift she can use to access the platform. or are there a lot of stairs ? As in, from street level. does the train start underground ?

Thank you..

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
675 Reviews
from US$75.30*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
731 Reviews
from US$49.00*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,280 Reviews
from US$104.00*
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: st.michel rer

The train does start underground. I'm not sure if there is an elevator but from my recent recollection there is only an escalator and steps.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,299 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: st.michel rer

A quick search of the forum brought up thread form 2012 that indicates that there's both an escalator and an elevator. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k55285…

Pjk

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,617 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: st.michel rer

I would be very careful to find out if such a device could even get on the RER -- I only remember hefty steps and even if St. Michel is elevator accessible, what about the destination? The metro is not accessible (except for one or two lines and a few stations) and the RER is a regular train with steps up whether it starts above ground or below. So you need to find out if there is wheelchair hoist capacity etc for the trains you need. It may be possible but I have never seen a scooter or wheelchair on any of these trains and would want to know for sure how this works. I would assume nothing.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: st.michel rer

There is a little known elevator to the RER at Rue Xavier Privas. It is a small alley that opens connects to the river and Quai Saint Michel. Look for a small hotel, Les Rives de Notre Dame. It is to the left of that.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: st.michel rer

You might want to look into the bus system. The vast majority of the buses are handicapped friendly and have an area near the center of the bus large enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: st.michel rer

All RER stations have an elevator when the tracks are not at ground level. They are just not always easy to locate in central Paris. The interactive map indicates that the elevator is at 1, rue Xavier Privat, as stated by Peripatetic_Engineer in post #4.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: st.michel rer

Thank you all for your information ! It has answered so many of my concerns !

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: st.michel rer

Very cool...thanks a lot !

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: st.michel rer

I've never used the lift at the corner of Rue Xavier Privas, but remember reading that lift connects platform of RER B (airport line), if you need RER C- it may not be easy to get for less able person.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: st.michel rer

Tesa is correct, the Rue Xavier Privas (sortie-6) does not stop at the RER-C level. It runs directly between street level and the RER-B platform.