We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris best lodge Henri IV

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Paris best lodge Henri IV

I think we have narrowed down our choices on a place to say in October. It's been a long research and I am still unsure if an apartment is best or staying at hotel familia. Has anyone ever stayed in either of these rentals and if so what did you think. Here are the links

http://www.parisbestlodge.com/h4x.html

www.historicrentals.com/paris/edouardjacques/

I enjoy this forum and have obtained a lot of useful information.

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,850 Reviews
from US$37.70*
US$44.20
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$110.50*
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
168 reviews
1. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

I personally wouldn't want to deal with the loft bed in the Paris Best Lodge apartment. Even the first review says they didn't want to deal with it while they were there.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,112 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

I wouldn't mind the loft bed at all (especially as the apartment itself is on the ground floor). Did you check to see which floor the Montparnasse place is on? I looked over the listing quickly specifically for that information - but don't see it. This always makes me suspicious that you're getting a 5th or 6th floor walk up (which I would mind very much more than a simple, private set of stairs in my own studio).

Of course, I'm a sucker for those quarried stone buildings in Bastille and Marais, plus we like the nightlife along Rue Charonne in Bastille and end up going out there every third night anyway (whereas, we don't find ourselves in Montparnasse as frequently). The Paris Best Lodge apartment is near a central metro line that gets you to the Louvre, Opera and other right bank places quickly (if that's a consideration).

Finally, we are renting with Paris Best Lodge for the fourth time this year, and so, there's that bias. I know Thierry and Eric, and I know that the apartment will actually have the services/items listed. I like how they do business. While it is true that one person disliked the stairs, I'm not finding it easy at all to find the reviews on the other apartment. If there are reviews, that's good, but if you can't find them either, that's a big red flag to me (better to know what you're getting into - and by the way, the Montparnasse apartment pictures don't seem to show what's outside the window nor does the listing say whether your window is on the street, whether it's double-paned, or whether it's on a courtyard.

Note that Thierry took the time to show you the courtyard (lovely) in the other apartment, which makes me think their claim of "quiet" is reliable. While Montparnasse might be considered by some to the "center of restaurants" on the Left Bank, a lot of people would say it is only one of the centers - and the Henri IV apartment is quite close to Isle St-Louis (a favorite destination of nearly everyone) and to two lively neighborhoods (Marais and Quartier Latin) along with Bastille.

Note that the woman who didn't like the stairs liked the sofa bed (in Paris, the sofa beds are often quite nice to sleep on). OTOH, the other place has a King sized bed - something of a rarity in Paris flats).

Find out how many stairs you have to climb to get to that Montparnasse apartment (if it's on their website, I just couldn't find it). And - again, an apartment with honest reviews is better than one without reviews.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris, Montreal
Level Contributor
19,584 posts
163 reviews
3. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

Is the second one near rue Daguerre? I can't find the exact location.

Rue Daguerre is a nice market street, though its location is much less central than that of Familia Hotel, and at the hotel you have reception staff to assist with questions and in case of emergency, plus there is maid service and a hotel reservation may be cancellable. Depending on your dates, Familia may even work out cheaper too and there are small fridges in its rooms ..I would definitely go with the legal option and rent a hotel room.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 18:40
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

Thank you for your replies. one reason we were leaning towards an apartment is because we both have to have our coffee first thing in the morning. We didn't want to purchase the breakfast from the hotel and the hotels we looked at dont have coffee makers in the room.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Paris Best Lodge one use to be called LaCerisai (?) It was one that I had considered, but since there are 3 of us, I decided to book a one bedroom.

Here is a report from Dansk22 who stayed there. Look at post #4. He also includes a whack of pictures in his picasaweb link.

tripadvisor.ca/…39073293

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
6. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

Paris Bestlodge get consistently good reviews here in terms of accuracy, honesty, easy to deal with, etc, although their apartments do look pretty small.

Depends how you feel about the loft bed - personally I would have no problem at all with the steps, and can not possibly imagine preferring the chore of having to make/unmake a sofabed every night! unless maybe that reviewer just left it out all the time, but then there is nowhere to sit....

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,112 posts
120 reviews
7. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

I dislike sofa beds, too, but my DH finds them easy enough to deal with (although, we have a loft in the apartment we're renting in June, and I find the stairs no problem at all - again, for me, it's the total number of stairs in a day that matters). I go to bed and get up only once!

OTOH, I do run out first thing in the morning to stand and get espresso while DH wakes up and starts other coffee. I love to go outside first thing in the morning in Paris, and find every opportunity to do so while he takes his time getting ready (he's more of a breakfast eater than I am). I may do a croissant run, and then, as our plans evolve, I might do a boulangerie/sandwich run, all before 10 a.m., so the stairs *into* the apartment become a problem for me (bad knee).

I do not count on elevators always working when renting an apartment, so it's a lower floor if possible, for us. Certainly no higher than the third (French second) floor. I think I got that right (about the floors).

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

We considered the Henri IV apartment from PBL and would have loved to rent from Thierry, but we didn't want to deal with the loft bed, and if you look carefully at the pictures, there's really only one comfortable place to sit in the entire apartment.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
822 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

I have stayed in the Henri IV twice(yes, it was the Cerisaie). It is a great apartment and the bed is comfortable. You can't stand up in the loft(just so you know). It would be small for two people because there is a wide chair for sitting in the LR.

That said, the location is awesome and all PBL apts have everything you need. They arevspotless and just as depicted. Thiery, Eric and Lucas are the best to deal with! I am renting from them now for he 6th time.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Paris best lodge Henri IV

Thanks . I don't mind that the loft bed. I would rather have that than a sofa bed. Thierry gets such good reviews so that is definitely a plus. He told us we can't stand in the loft area. the location is also great. So I have decided on the apartment now I just have to decide on the apartment or Hotel la Familia. both are around the same pricing but back to my morning coffee which is a must.