We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

San Diego
Level Contributor
69 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

I am not too concerned about carrying US cash for spending while in Paris. Is there a problem paying shop-keepers in US dollars??

or.. can I go to a bank while in Paris and trade US bills for euros or is there an additional charge there too?

I have mostly charged while in Europe in the past but dislike the added percentage that I am charged... so I thought I would just carry some smaller US bills and try to rely on those mainly.

or.. can I put in a US $100 in ATM "over there" and get Euros in change... without a fee??

Your thoughts and advice????

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
672 Reviews
from US$74.90*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Skip-the-Line Admission...
725 Reviews
from US$48.70*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from US$103.40*
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

I would be highly amazed if someone accepted payment in US dollars!

Yes you could change Dollars to Euros in Paris but there will be a fee.

Have you not got a debit card to use at an ATM? That really would be the answer to this scenario.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

No, you cannot use US dollars to pay for things in France. You must be joking, right? If you ran a business in San Diego would you accept foreign currency as payment?

Do you have an ATM or debit card? Just use it to get euros out of an ATM machine.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

No, you can't use US dollars to pay shopkeepers, etc in Paris--just as stores and restaurants here in the US wouldn't accept Euros.

The easiest way is to use your ATM card at any bank and withdraw cash in Euros. There will be no charge from the ATM (in 99.9% of banks) but there will likely be a 3% transaction fee from your bank. And you won't be able to put US $ into an ATM and get Euros back.

Be sure to notify your bank before you leave that you will be traveling--or your card will likely be rejected.

TVQ

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

Oh dear God, no, you can't pay for things in France with US dollars! Are you kidding?

Get a bank in the USA that doesn't charge a fee for ATM withdrawals in Europe and that doesn't charge you an exhorbitant percentage for a withdrawal. Let them know you're traveling in Europe. And ask them to increase your dauly withdrawal limit if it's lower than what you want to withdraw when you're there.

5. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 11:22
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

Would you accept Euros for payment in the US?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

Sorry..does NOT work in Europe. And is dumb, offensive, and even if it should work would cost the traveller a boatload extra of money. Sorry, but really stupid.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

You worry about fees for exchanging currency. Where you really get killed is on the exchange

rate.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

But, there are things you can do to avoid, or lessen the fees. You have no control over the exchange rate.

Fort Worth TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To buy Euros or simply use US currency?

I have paid ATM transaction fees (charged by my bank) for pounds Br. and Euros. And percentage fees when using debit card in restaurants, shops, etc. I have had best "exchange" rate by ordering pounds or Euros, or whatever I'll need where I'm going, at my bank, which doesn't charge me a fee, a week or two before traveling, or when the exchange rate is looking favorable. Usually about $400 or $500. That gives us taxi/train/tip money right off the plane, and cash for pubs, cafes, etc. I would not EVER change/exchange money at airports; if you have a lot left at the end of your trip, have a great meal or buy some lovely gifts. Or save it til your next trip. It doesn't pay to pay twice for exchanging money.

Re dollars in Mexico: yes, in some places they are quite desirable, others not so much. You must realize that Mexico and USA are neighbors, with lots of traveling between each country, and sometimes (!) US currency is more stable!

Peru was accepting US currency several years ago, but only crisp new bills, and $20s in particular. Don't know about now.