We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

learn French in Paris

Lituanian between...
13 posts
learn French in Paris
Save

Hi!!

I have just spent one month in Paris where I have been studying French in a great school called Langue Onze. There, you can have intensive courses (4 hours a day) in the morning for good prices and they find you a studio or a room in a family...

It's a small school, very friendly...

I really recommend it!!

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
561 posts
126 reviews
64 helpful votes
1. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

Thank you for the post. This is just what I've been looking for!!

I just checked out their website, great information on it. I like how they determine a person's level of knowledge and each class is no more than 9 hours.

A few questions.

Were you given books in conjunction with CDs and only asked to speak French in class?

What is a fair expectation ( outcome ) for a beginner after the 1st intensive month?

Just curious, the course you took was in the morning, so I assume most of the students were twenty something, is that so?

Thanks again!

Lituanian between...
13 posts
2. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

Langue Onze works with worksheets, adapted to each level, each point of grammar, vocabulary... They use lots of documents to make you speak, and it works!!! They really lay the stress on communication.

After one month, you are able to communicate in everyday life. For the beginners, it's a 3 hours course in the afternoon (I think)

The students come from everywhere, and are from 18 to 50, on average...

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
561 posts
126 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

Thank you again Crevy for your input.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
2 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

crevy -

I see that you live in Oxford. I will be in London next month and would like to spend a couple of days there. Could you recommend a pleasant hotel close to the center? I'd like to spend less than £80 if possible, but could stretch to £100. I'd like to be within walking distance of Magdalen if possible.

I'm thinking that you are not a native English speaker, though your English is very good. Did you learn English at somewhere similar to Langue Onze, or in some other setting. How was that experience for you?

Thanks for your help with the Oxford hotel question.

atlanta
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
16 reviews
75 helpful votes
5. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

Hi Crevy! I am planning a month in Paris for October (already have my apartment) to learn French. My plan is to take classes at Alliance Français, but I have not registered for them yet. I am going to check out where you went, but it sounds very similar to the method that the A.F uses. Can you compare and contrast for me, or did you ever look at Alliance Français?

I am not a true beginner, but probably not a full intermediate either, so I wonder where I will start in either course of study!

Thanks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
144 reviews
177 helpful votes
6. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

the Sorbonne offers excellent language courses for foreigners as well...

Les

Lituanian between...
13 posts
7. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

well, never been in Alliance Française but the prices are higher, AND most of all the number of students in the classroom (15-20)... Some students are disappointed by the AF because it's more "rigid" and less friendly... seems to be a big business...

Lituanian between...
13 posts
8. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

to Irishrovr

I know a b&b, on iffley road (around n 40...) which was around £50. Since I am not in Oxford at the moment, I can't give you further info... Sorry!!

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

<<Some students are disappointed by the AF because it's more "rigid" and less friendly... seems to be a big business...>>

You can add us to that list. We were very disappointed in AF for exactly those reasons. The price was high, I had 23 students in my class and the instructor was so rigid that I wasn't allowed to ask a question in English (He graduated from a US university) no matter how far behind I fell. Even outside the classroom he wouldn't step down a notch. It was ridiculous.

My wife just completed a French language/culture course at the Sorbonne and loved it.

Thanks for the tip about Langue Onze. Maybe there's hope for me yet.

atlanta
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
16 reviews
75 helpful votes
10. Re: learn French in Paris
Save

'Hmmm, well you have me reconsidering crevy! I have just rented an apartment in the St. Germain area. I love the area, so I am not upset even if I decide to go to Langue Onze about my location. But, I did think it was convenient for Alliance Français. So, what do you think about a commute from the left bank each day? Another thing I liked about AF is that I can take afternoon classes at all levels. I am a nightowl and I liked the 1330-1730 hours!!

Anyone have a good experience with Alliance Francais????

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.