We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location location location-Latin Quarter

San Diego
Level Contributor
69 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
location location location-Latin Quarter

Have narrowed down an apartment in the Latin Quarter:

73 Boulevard Saint Germain, 75005 Paris. This is for myself

(active) senior traveling with 15 year old granddaughter.

Sounds perfect to me.. want to be right in the middle of shops, cafes, boutiques, and transportation. Limited stairs a must...

Does this look like I am in the right area? Safe yet handy to all? Well kept up... etc...

What do you "trip advisor" guys think?

Thanks.... Nancy

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

In my limited experience, Paris is not a great place for avoiding stairs. They are everywhere, especially the Metro. You might want to try to figure out the bus transportation system.

That looks like a fantastic location to me -- my family is looking to be near there for our next trip to Paris.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

I'd certainly be happy to stay in that area. Very centrally located, pretty neighborhood, nice cafes nearby, and right by one of my favorite museums......

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

Can't comment on apartment stairs, since you don't say how many there are, but using buses instead of metro where possible will help to reduce your stair consumption ;-) The address you mention is convenient for several bus routes. Note that those routes which go east-west will use Bvd St Germain in the easterly direction but rue des Ecoles to travel west (one-way system). You also have several bus routes just round the corner on Bvd S Michel.

Edited: 31 August 2012, 20:22
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,570 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

make sure your apartment has an elevator -- if it is not mentioned assume it doesn't -- this is critical since you want to avoid stairs -- it is common for Paris apartments to be 5 floor walk ups

Toronto
Level Contributor
588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

Lots of buses around in the 5th & 6th. Very handy to the sites. Personally I didn't find the stairs too bad but if changing metros some stations do have a long walk. Cite which is the stop for Notre-Dame has an elevator. I found the bus drivers quite friendly and helpful and they are very easy to use - announcing each stop on an electronic sign.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

Definitely check on elevator. But, know also, that elevators in older buildings frequently go out of order, so make sure any flights of stairs involved would be manageable.

The location is excellent, but could be a bit noisy.

There are bus routes all around, but you do have to study the routes due to the one way streets.

Here's another huge recommendation for planning to get around on the buses to avoid the stairs and long walks in the metro.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

I've stayed a few blocks away on different trips, and almost ate at the nearby pizza place this past June. The area is safe but depending on the location of your apartment in the building you could get a lot of street noise. As others have pointed out, it an easy location for catching a bus.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

Make sure the apartment, or at least the bedrooms, are not street facing. Having to sleep on the boulevard itself could turn out not to be a pleasant experience - and I am not even talking about the possibility of opening the windows. Traffic in Paris is much noisier than in the States: buses are frequent, cars are not automatic and about 30% of vehicles are not so quiet scooters or motorbikes.

Edited: 01 September 2012, 03:28
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

Is this the apartment? parisaddress.com/paris-apartment-rental/apar…

Location is very good. Personally, I'm not crazy about all of the sheets - or whatever they're using on most of the furniture. Makes it look like they're trying to hide dirty old furniture. Noticed that apt is on 1st floor, which will be one flight up if elevator is out of service..

Also the kitchen and bathroom are tiny and there's no place to eat, except for the high counter stools.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: location location location-Latin Quarter

The description says "street view", and no courtyard view. One of the comments does speak of street noise, when the window are open. The windows have to be high quality to hold off the noise even when closed; the boulevard is very busy, and first floor is very near the street!

Are you used to a noisy environment ? Can you sleep with street noise ?

Edited: 01 September 2012, 06:41