We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

San Diego
Level Contributor
69 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

I have been searching numerous sites for an apartment right in the heart of the Latin Quarter... suitable for myself, senior but lively gramma and soon to be 15 year old grandaughter. Am having a problem with location. Need to be right on top of the action... walking more than a few blocks and stairs a problem. Any help with street name suggestions welcomed. Trip planned for March 26 to April 1st, 2013.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
672 Reviews
from US$74.90*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Skip-the-Line Admission...
726 Reviews
from US$48.70*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,279 Reviews
from US$103.40*
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,040 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

Its only 5 days, so perhaps a hotel may do, I know that Hotel d'Albe St Michel would be in the most central location you could get for being in the heart of the busy bustling ( filled with cafes and shops ) but mostly pedestrian Latin Quarter. Its more then I would pay but it would fit your bill.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 05:46
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,040 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

For less money I can recommend Hotel Eugenie,, I have stayed there, and had my dad( 77) stay there .. It is on Rue Saint Andre Des Arts, VERY central, smack on border between Latin and St Germain.. cafes , shops and river all within steps. Clean and moderate,( but plain decor) Staff were very nice. It is within 5 minute walk of Seine, Notre Dame, tons and tons of cafes and restaurants all around you ( as well as bank machine, grocers , pharmcy) etc etc.

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

No matter what you choose, there wil be walking, because even in "central" Paris the sights are not lined up right next to each other. A good idea for you would be to use the "OpenTour" busses a lot (provided the weather is agreable), that way you get around Paris without wearing yourself down.

Tip about Montmartre, which would be an absolute nightmare for you to climb, but which really is too lovely and too Parisian to miss . Take the small blue/green public "MONTMATROBUS" which starts at Place Pigalle and let it drive you around the hill.

You get too see both all the touristy quarters, like Sacré Coeur and Place du Tertre - and best of all: also the quieter quarters to the west and north. You can always get off and take a little walk around, and then take the next MONTMARTROBUS to drive you further around, Just remember that it costs you a new ticket, whenever you want to get on board again. It ends at Jules Joffrin, right across from the townhall of the 18th arrondissement. If you have the energy to do it - and if it's on a regular workday - DO go in and see the townhall, it is fantastic inside. So beautiful !

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

Sorry, this was not a hotel related reply, but I want to recommend that you gert aquainted with the public busses, before you leave home for Paris, as they will save you a lot of money for taxis and it sounds as if you would be miserable with the metro stairs.

* go to www.ratp.fr

* click on "plan interactif"

* click on the circle saying BUS in the lefthand side

* enlarge map with the + sign (righthand side)

* choose a line that goes close by your hotel, the line will then be highlighted

* from the small box of icons, choose the red line with dots on it, saying "Afficher le plan de la ligne"

* you are now shown a map with the entire bus route

* click on "Impression" (= print) in the righthand side just on top of the map

VOILA !

You get then neatest print-out in just the right handbag-fitting size to bring along with you. I always do that for the 3-4 lines which I figure will be most convenient for my purposes, staple them together into a booklet - and it works like a dream.

If you are a little walking impaired, my experience is that the Parisians are very helpful in busses, also at leaving you their seat.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 06:23
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

the "latin quarter" doesn't really exist as a defined entity, so I doubt if anyone will actually be able to tell you which streets border it. Indeed, there may be some streets that aren't considered "latin quarter" that you might think should be included because they are surrounded by streets that are definitely "latin quarter"

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

The "Latin Quarter" generally refers to the 5th, part of the 6th, in the vicinity of the Sorbonne, but may not be where you presume to be whatever you mean by "on top of the action".

Agree that you should choose a location convenient to bus routes/stops.

And, a stay of less than a week will limit your possibilities.

Note also that many apartments in the Latin Quarter are in buildings without elevators...

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

djkbooks, I thought about the elevator issue too, but forgot to mention.

Perhaps a nice hotel around the Louvre might be more comfortable - if the OP is not determined that it HAS to be the Latin Quarter.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,040 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

You know we rented an apartment on Rue Galande, and we were told it was the only apartment buiding on that block that had an elevator., apparently most of the buildings simply cannot get permission to retro fit an elevator in that area as they are very old and it would be unsafe to tear into the structures. In that very old area of Paris that may be an issue in many of the lovely old character buildings.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

The issue is that in very old buildings (tiny) elevators have been installed within spiral/roundabaout stairways and are often out of order, sometimes because guests ignore the pleas that they not be overloaded. So, even if you can manage to squeeze yourselves and a few bags of luggage within, the overweight may result in "out of order" or worse, when it would have been prudent to send the bags up separately as recommended. And, if you "break" the elevator, not only are you incovenienced, but also everyone else in the building.

San Diego
Level Contributor
69 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street names that border "Latin Quarter"

Thanks for the Montmatrobus info... will definitely check that out. My granddaughter wants to see all we can in six nights... I liked Versailles

so far that and the Montmatrobus is on the list.... thanks again for your advice

Nancy