We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ritz Hotel closing for renovations

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ritz Hotel closing for renovations

I just read that the Ritz is closing this summer for renovations. I was really looking forward to going there for our 30th anniversary. Now trying to decide between Meurice and Crillon. Any suggestions or recommendations for another hotel?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ritz Hotel closing for renovations

What about the Plaza, the Shangri La or the Peninsula?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,730 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ritz Hotel closing for renovations

Georges V gets voted best hotel in Europe fairly often and has a similar decor to the Ritz, so you may enjoy that.

Of the 7 palace hotels that the three of us have listed, I have a strong preference for the Crillon. I love its location on the Place de la Concorde, I love the wide open space and all the light pouring in, near the Tuileries gardens and St Honoré shopping. I love the breakfast there, too. I find the Shangri-la to be kind of in the middle of nowhere and the Plaza Athenée too near the Champs for my tastes (the Georges, too, for that matter). The Peninsula is a construction zone right now, so sleeping would be difficult and I hear the builders refuse to serve breakfast on the girders. I find it depressing coming out of the Meurice in to the Rivoli arcades with all the tacky tourist shops.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ritz Hotel closing for renovations

Ditto to phread's comments about Le Crillon's location. We stayed there several years ago, and it was lovely.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ritz Hotel closing for renovations

Georges V is the other 'iconic' Paris Hotel. Sadly I have absolutely no idea what it is like!!

5. Re: Ritz Hotel closing for renovations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:16