We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

I will be in Paris in a couple weeks. I return to the USA on a Sunday 11:00am flight. I'm reading on TA that it is a must to be there at least 3 hours before. My hotel is near the NotreDame RER stop.Since it's a lot less money than a taxi it is my preferred mode of transportation, but if it can be a problem I will spend the extra money. Your thoughts??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

The RER is more likely to be reliable than a taxi, as it cannot get held up by a traffic jam on the roads.

New York
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

I was kind of thinking that myself. It's just that I notice so many posts about shuttles and taxis to the airport so I thought maybe the RER wasn't the best option for some reason.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

No shuttle service in Paris is wholly reliable, so people who ask about shuttles are told to take a taxi. Also, some people are staying in hotels that would require awkward changes of line to use the RER.

You are staying near an RER station, and it is a good way for you to get to CDG.

New York
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

Thanks for the info!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

If you have a lot of luggage, the RER can be a pain in the neck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

I think it should be OK to just go down at St-Michel Notre-Dame and do a straight run to CDG.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

If I was staying so near to the RER I would catch the RER. Cheaper and quicker. However, the train can get crowded for a few stops till all the local get off at peak periods. Escalators at st Michel and CDG.

If the escalators are not working and you have heavy luggage , you can just go to the taxi stand on Place St Michel.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
75 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

look for RER express. it will save you some time without stopping at every single stop along the way.

New York
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

Thanks everyone! Def doing the train. That's always what I prefer which is even one of the reasons I chose to be near the station. If the escalator is not working for some reason this bag has been dragged up and down many sets of steps throughout Europe so it will just be one more for the list!! And I will look for the express...good to know! Thanks again.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the RER reliable transportation to CDG?

Don' wait for an express train if another one comes into the station first...they don't overtake trains ahead.