We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Books on the history of Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lawndale, California
Level Contributor
665 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Books on the history of Paris?

Can anyone recommend really good books (in English, please) on the history of Paris that I could get online through someplace like Amazon? Thanks!

1. Re: Books on the history of Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 November 2015, 19:06
Edited: 07 November 2015, 19:06
Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Books on the history of Paris?

Couple - I purchased a great little book Paris Then and Now which shows various sites in Paris as they were many years ago and as they are now. It's written by Peter & Oriel Caine who also offer walking tours. It was very interesting reading and then actually seeing the various sites during out visit.

Not sure if it's available on line.

Here is the link to the walking tours website. We didn't (regrettably) go on one of these tours, but they get high praise.

http://www.paris-walks.com/

Enjoy!

Edited: 29 January 2011, 12:01
Paris
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Books on the history of Paris?

I enjoyed the Alistain Horne book very much. Also have a look at Graham Robb's Discovery of France. If you're interested in Paris during the Occupation, Charles Glass's Americans in Paris: Life and Death under Nazi Occupation is wonderful and reads like a thriller.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
1,699 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Books on the history of Paris?

I recommend "Paris, Biography of a City" by Colin Jones.

Manchester United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Books on the history of Paris?

You could also try

Parisians

An Adventure History of Paris by,

Graham Robb

It is a compilation of stories about Paris from the 1750's to the present

Paris After the Liberation 1944-1949: Revised Edition by

Antony Beevor and Artemis Cooper

Goes on a bit about how awful the communists were and glosses over their contribution to the resistance but overall no a bad read

Edited: 29 January 2011, 18:22
Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Books on the history of Paris?

I second Rumples recommendation of the Colin Jones book, although it may be too detailed for some. I found it fascinating, very well written, and it made me want to learn more about French history in general. There is a recently published book that I read a review of and ordered on Amazon, but for some reason, they have been unable to get it in stock (I just got an email today asking me to confirm whether I still wanted it, since they still are unable to confirm when it might be available). Anyway, it is The Invention of Paris: A History Told in Footsteps by Eric Hazan. The Seven Ages of Paris is good also.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Books on the history of Paris?

I've enjoyed Paris - The Secret History by Andrew Hussey and also, as others have mentioned, the Alistair Horne book.

8. Re: Books on the history of Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2012, 06:19