We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student Riots?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
826 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Student Riots?

It is disturbing to see the scenes from France these days. While they may not be as widespread as TV news would have you believe, it is still disturbing and does not reflect well on France or the French. We were in Paris 2 weeks ago, right in between the strikes of October 2 and 12th so we got lucky. I was reading the Times Herald or one of the English newspapers and read that when France instituted its current pension system there were 5 workers for every pensioner. Now there are one-and-a-half workers for every pensioner. Clearly that is not sustainable. What I don't understand is why are the students rioting in support of the existing pension system? They will soon be the only people working to support the pensioners and it is unlikely the system can sustain itself until they reach the age of 58 and can take a pension. It seems to me they should be demonstrating in support of pension reform, not against it? Can anyone from France comment? Sorry to post a political question but I hate to see a beautiful country torn down by all of this.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student Riots?

The French were set off by the fact that the government snapped its fingers and found untold hundreds of billions of euros to bail out the banks and it claims that the 10-billion euro pension deficit is unbearable.

When the government starts being more honest, people might be more sympathetic. It was also pointed out that parliament did not change their own pension rules to put them in line with what they were asking of the French people.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Student Riots?

Obviously the OP isn't aware that protests are a cherished part of the French culture!

The currents "students riots" as the OP call them, are kid's games compared to May 1968 or to the short but bloody revolutions of the 19th century. I am proud that the students keep the tradition alive. And by the way the government has enough money around to give back 30 odd BILLIONS euros to old Madame Bettencourt...

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Student Riots?

I wish I could believe that the people protesting have really thought out the problem, but sadly I don't think they have.

The French love to scream and stamp their feet.

4. Re: Student Riots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 21:28
Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Student Riots?

I may be just me being a stranger to the nuances of the anglo-american language. But "riots" ???? Isn't that half way to revolution ????

(as to whining and yammering about the retirement age being raised from 60 to 62 when the rest of Europe has to work until the age of 67.......... no comments.........)

Edited: 23 October 2010, 11:38
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Student Riots?

<<(as to whining and yammering about the retirement age being raised from 60 to 62 when the rest of Europe has to work until the age of 67.......... no comments.........)>>

And the rise to 62 doesn't happen till 2018. My French friends in Australia can't believe that at nearly 63 I am still working, and that I don't have any plans to retire any time soon. They also point out that there's no way I'd be employable (if I were looking for a new job) if I lived in France. :(

Edited: 23 October 2010, 12:16
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Student Riots?

As for "riots," there were two days of skirmishes in Lyon and Nanterre. The word riot was not at all used by the French media, which knows what a riot really is.

8. Re: Student Riots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 21:28
Edited: 06 November 2015, 21:28
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Student Riots?

I think it's quite sad that violence on the streets, breaking and damage of property and injured civilians and policemen is considered "normal " in France (love the use of the word "skirmish"!).

In any other civilised country people would be shocked.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Student Riots?

"Yes, but the English translation of CRS is "riot police", which is clearly inaccurate" -

It is very inaccurate. They have other missions and by the way the gendarmes mobiles on the picture are not CRS.

The CRS = police, the gendarmes = army.