We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American media overreaction and propaganda

Dallas
Level Contributor
153 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
American media overreaction and propaganda

I just saw a big story in the U.S. about French students and workers rioting and protesting in the streets. What a lie! It's typical French-hating Americans trying to stir up trouble. If you watch the American news reports (I should say propaganda), it makes it sound like these minor incidents are wide-spread. To those who might be wondering and worrying about these things, I urge you to completely ignore them. Plan your trips to France now and enjoy as always!

Minneapolis...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

Not sure the propaganda has anything to do with "French-hating" Americans. Our media prospers on creating fear and discontent, whether because of demonstrations in France or a threat of a thunderstorm on the East Coast. They are just equal opportunity haters.

Of course, I read the news on france24.com/en, as well as heard the news from the BBC World Service, and it seemed like they were also reporting on students and workers rioting on the streets. But as you say, just a few.

It's not changing my plans: I leave in 18 days for Paris!

Edited: 21 October 2010, 21:16
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

Er...the situation here is quite serious......

I'm not one to blow events out of all proportion but not one to be unrealistic either.

In these days of internet, surley even Americans can check out different websites to see what's going on.....

The French might do well to do the same!

Dallas
Level Contributor
153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

I'm just saying that the reports I've seen make it sound like the entire country is in chaos. And we all know that's far from the truth.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

Seanbee, I am guessing that the OP was responding to the suggestion in posts (not yours) on some recent threads that no-one should believe any reports in the foreign press (or even the French press) about the strikes and the demonstrations. The suggestion was that these were all wildly inaccurate and fanciful and we should listen only to TA Paris members who live in or near Paris.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

The only report I have seen quite clearly pointed out that the bulk of the violence was near a high school in Nanterre, not in central Paris. I was in Paris yesterday and saw no violence but garbage is stacking up along some streets and transportation can be an issue, particularly public transportation for those carrying luggage.

Still, I should recommend that if travelers could delay their visit to France for a few days, maybe until after this weekend, all of the chaos will subside and travel will be much easier.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

Some of the news comes from the BBC; so itn's not just the terrible American media. As for typical French-hating Americans, Pasquali56, where do you get that idea? There are a whole lot of francophiles around.

Right now I'd be more worried about going to Mexico.

Dallas
Level Contributor
153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

Have you watched FOX News lately? Yes, I agree that Mexico is definitely the place to avoid.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

<<Have you watched FOX News lately?>>

Certainly, it's gripping television. I find it to be closer to entertainment than to news however.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

Watch FOX news? Huh?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American media overreaction and propaganda

Pick any recent news topic.

Visit a range of media outlets -- you pick which ones. To make it even more fun, pick a couple from each of several different countries (most major newspapers are available in at least a couple of languages).

See how many actually all agree with each other.

I'm not talking about someone posting a report from AFP, Reuters, the Associated Press or something similar -- wire reports are printed mostly verbatim from the wire services, so yes, those will match up.

I'm talking reports filed by a reporter who works for the media outlet that owns each website....you'll find a *lot* of deviations...and sometimes even the cold hard facts (you know, the who-what-where-when-how) don't match up.

Personal anecdotes don't always make the whole story...but personal anecdotes stand to gain nothing by lying...there's no fame or money or ad revenue to claim by making something much more attention-grabbing or shocking than it is...But personal observations are not necessarily any less true than something being delivered by a made-up talking head on your television or computer, either.

Nobody's obligated to believe eyewitness reports from a non-reporter any more than they're obligated to believe anything else...it's your trip, and if you're posting here, you're old enough to read, write, and make conclusions based upon what you read. Make your own choice.

Edited: 21 October 2010, 22:40