We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Lazare questions

Iowa
5 posts
Save Topic
St. Lazare questions

We are flying into Paris (CDG) for our 40th wedding anniversary. We will be arriving at at 8:45 A.M. Sunday Sept 26, and will take a cab to St Lazare, for the 11:45 to Bayeux, we have already purchased the train tickets. My questions are, is St Lazare easy to navigate to find the correct train and car, this is our first trip to Paris and the train system. Is Sunday A.M. a slow or busy time at the station? We will be spending 3 days in Bayeux, before returning to Paris. We are looking forward to our first time in Paris. Thanks in advance for any help or tips that you may provide.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Lazare questions

In an effort to answer you question I will firstly say that I have not been inside St. Lazare in some years. However, I remember it being straight forward and not difficult in the least to navigate. St. Lazare is not as complicated as some of the other stations. For example, Gare de Lyon can be a challenge for the first time user.

Sunday morning is generally very calm in Paris. The taxi should be about 50€.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Lazare questions

You will find St Lazare very easy to navigate because 80% of it is closed for the next couple of years. It is undergoing the same makeover that Gare de l'Est received. So you will just see plywood walls everywhere except where the platforms are. They are numbered 1-2-3-4-5-6.... and so on with screens and signs to indicate departures and platforms.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Lazare questions

I've only used Nord, Lyon and St. Lazare. St. Lazare is by far the easiest to navigate. Tracks will be posted 20 minutes prior to departure and car numbers are plainly marked. This year upon our arrival there were no taxis outside the station. There is a sign listing a phone number which we called and the taxi arrived within minutes.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Lazare questions

I meant to say upon our arrival in Bayeux...

Iowa
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Lazare questions

Thanks for all of the replies, this will be our first French train experience, and I was a bit nervous about getting to the correct train. It sounds like it is a smaller terminal. Thanks again.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Lazare questions

It is not really "smaller" because it has tons of commuter trains, but the only long distance trains go to Normandy.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,030 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Lazare questions

I took the train to Rouen from there a few months ago, as I recall the Grand Ligne trains( trains going a bit further afar) leave from the larger numbered tracks,, like 15 and up,, when you are facing the tracks , they will be on the right hand side. There is sometimes helpful staff standing arond that you ask to confirm if you are in right place,, BUT..for goodness sake, do remember to always greet them with a "Bonjour Madame or Bonjour Monsieur" BEFORE you ask for help. Its considered rude to start any inquiry or plea for assistance, without greeting clerk etc first. This holds true everywhere, the bakery, the museum,. everywhere. Hello first, then ask questions.

And. as noted, don't panic if you don't see it up on board right away, they don't put them up till closer to departure time as Hemlock mentioned.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Lazare questions

Yes, suburbs on the left, main lines on the right. But that is not engraved in stone, and there can be exceptions.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Lazare questions

Don't know what sort of ticket you have but usually you have to validate it in a machine at the top of the platform ( Compostez).

You should have no problem otherwise.

Bayeux is great by the way.....and the D day beaches are a must. Enjoy

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Lazare questions

Lots of trains going in an out at this station BUT the tracks 1-2-3 etc. are well marked and easy to read plus the over head signs light up to show which train is arriving- which track your train will depart. We found the cab drivers, if you ask* or if you show then your ticket will drop you off right where you need to be. We found cab drivers to be gracious and oh so helpful. I was a little anxious too in our first trip-always concerned we'd miss the train or mis-read the sign or get on the wrong train going to the wrong place. It's a snap. You will do fine. We found the people of France to be warm, receptive and willing to help but do take Joan1 advise to *greet them first and thank them last with merci. Have a great trip!