We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

My wife and i will be staying in a hotel in Marais. It's basically a 2 star hotel which we didn't have to pay a lot for. Thing is, i've heard that Marais is a lovely place with no problems finding supermarkets, shops etc, and i was wondering if it would be better for us to pay 8euros each for hotel breakfast every day, or spend the money outside? This is bearing in mind that i am on a tight budget and prob won't be spending more than 15euros on a breakfast.

p/s : what is a typical hotel breakfast consist of?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

Most hotel breakfasts consist of a croissant and a crusty bread roll with butter and jam, juice and a hot beverage. If it is set up as a buffet, there will probably also be sliced cold cuts, cheese, cereal, fresh fruit and yogurt (plus no limit to the bread, croissants, coffee or juice).

So a hotel breakfast can be a good deal or a bad deal, depending on how it is set up and what you eat in the morning. I think the Ibis chain charges 8€ for the breakfast and it is the buffet style, so I consider it to be very worth the charge. In a hotel where the meager items are brought to your table, it is a rip off.

Most cafés have breakfast deals (simple version) for around 5.50€.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

I'd pay a bit for the convenience of not having to go out of the hotel to scrounge breakfast, but maybe that's just me.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

I go along with paying for the convenience. Also - TMI ALERT!! - my morning routine involves Bed Breakfast Bathroom, and I prefer the privacy as well as the convenience. Worth €8 to me!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

Maybe not scrounging to sit in the little cafe and watch the passing crowd and have OJ, coffee and croissant in Paris. But if you want much more than that it will cost above E8.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

<<I go along with paying for the convenience. Also - TMI ALERT!! - my morning routine involves Bed Breakfast Bathroom, and I prefer the privacy as well as the convenience. Worth €8 to me!>>

Ailidh - I gather that your hotel provides breakfast in the room? Many don't - you have to go to a breakfast room, in which case you might as well go out to a café.

Mr ABCD, do you have to commit to breakfast when you book, or is it an option. My hotel offered breakfast and they charged only if you had it. Maybe you could try it the first morning - if you think it's good value, keep having it. If not, go out the next morning and see what you can get for your €8.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

I agree with Kiwi -- check out the breakfast the first day.

As for my own habits, when I am in a city, I often hit the streets really early before I even want any breakfast, so I certainly don't need to have it at the hotel (I don't need coffee to start my morning, which I know is an important factor for some people.). In a more rural location, I don't mind starting slow with a breakfast in the hotel.

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

Hi There

My wife and I have rented apartments in the Marais for the last 5 years and our choice of where to eat breakfast is weather dependent if it,s nice we head out to eat there's something about sipping coffee outside in Paris watching the world go by .If the weather,s miserable off I go to Miss Manon for goodies works for us

cheers

jim

ps you,ll love the Marais

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

Mr_ABCD, if you have ended up deciding on the Hotel Sevigne (discussed in your other post), then Miss Manon is very near you:

www.infoparis.com/all/present.php…

Also, here is a link to info about the Marais in general:

www.parismarais.com/welcome-to-le-marais.htm

In addition, you should get yourself a good guidebook. Recently I used "Insight Guides: Paris Step By Step" and loved it. It comes with a great map and it details walks around various parts of Paris. You will be so centrally located in the Marais that you should take advantage of walking around the city.

Have a great trip--how long are you staying?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,174 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

Along with being able to select a variety of things for breakfast at a hotel, there is nothing like starting with cafe au lait served at your table.

We always select breakfast at the hotel, but the one year we didn't we found it to be inconvenient, and ended up at the same cafe every morning rather than hunt around.

Pjk

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 euros hotel breakfast or eat out?

<<Ailidh - I gather that your hotel provides breakfast in the room? Many don't - you have to go to a breakfast room, in which case you might as well go out to a café.>>

No, I go to breakfast room, then back to the bedroom, then out. It doesn't fall out of me quite that quickly!