We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

My family wants to go see an opera when we are in Paris this June.

If we order tickets online from their website, do they mail it to our address in the US, or do we pick them up at Garnier?

The tickets do not seem to be bookable yet. Do they usually open for sale 2 months in advance?

My 14 yo daughter does not want to just see the Opera house. She wants to experience it, and she enjoys opera, so this will be our splurge!

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

Garnier has more ballet productions than Operas ..the big Operas are at the Bastille. However you may be lucky in June. see program at www.inspireddiversions.com/article.cfm… (I googled Garnier opera 2010 program)

to reserve tickets I would try FNAC spectacles at www.fnacspectacles.com/ - France

click on the English flag at at top right then on opera-classical music at the left of the page. under region--in the center of the page--choose Paris. There is pages after pages....

FNAC is a company that started long ago as a buying co-op for teachers and bureaucrats--hence the strange name---and I snow a regular chain with numerous stores. Their choice of books, CD/DVD/ cameras, Tvs, computers etc. is amazing. They are a reputable company.

I found the Opera site: http://www.operadeparis.fr/cns11/live/onp/Saison_2009_2010/operas/index.php?〈=en

click on Booking at top right. It is too early for June. READ PRACTICAL INFORMATION first..

I would check which process, FNAC and Opera is more practical..

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

Yes, I have already checked the calender on the opera. They are showing "La Donna del Lago" on June 14 & 18 at Garnier, when we are in Paris. It does not have the flag "book" yet, so I assume it is too early. Thank you for the FNAC site, I will try that too, maybe do some mock booking to see how the process goes.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

operadeparis.fr/cns11/…

gives a list of when you can book for which operas. It looks like March 8th for La Donna del Lago. Maybe see you there, lol!? I'm hoping to go too, when I'm there for Walkyrie.

I don't know about posting to the States, they certainly post to the UK, and I've got my Rheingold and Walkyrie tickets on the coffee table next to me as I type. It makes me more comfortable to have them in advance.

Out here somewhere
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

They definitely post to the US (or at least they did last year) very quickly and at no extra cost.

ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

Yes, you will get your tickets in the mail, they are beautiful themselves.

You need to sign in and you will get a registration code to use for tickets purchases. I woke up at 3am to get tickets for Giselle and it was worth it. You can read my trip report for some details but the highlights:

We were in 2 emes loges de face 37 5&6 purchased for 65 Euros each, no shipping, handling, processing, printing or added fees. They arrived in the mail to me just days after I placed the order.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k31361…

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

You can have the tickets mailed to you, at no extra cost, or can pick them up an hour before the show.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

Thank you for the replies.

It's good to know they mail tickets to the US.

Sightseeing is nice, but I find the best travel experience comes from doing things.

Years ago I visited London & Paris, all the museums and monuments have become a blur to me now, but I still remember vividly seeing Evita (my very first musical) in London, and looking for the bottle of wine that bore my husband's family name when we saw it advertised in Paris. (it has since gone out of business, so cannot get a bottle this time) . Those are really my fondest memories.

Now I am getting really excited about going back to Paris after all these years...and to see an opera at Palais Garnier. WOW!!

By the way , if we arrive for the show early, can we wander around to see the place, or a separate tour is still needed to see all of it? (I did not get to see the Opera House last time).

Thanks again.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
884 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

Wow, I had no idea the Palais Garnier was so oppulent. What a magnificent place.

La Bayadere will be playing while we are there. I bought tickets for a performance at the Concertgebouw when we were in Amsterdam. A visit to the ballet in Paris may be in the offing. Thanks for this thread.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

Evie, you can wander around to see the place, they start letting people in an hour before the show.

Edited: 03 February 2010, 21:09
San Diego...
Level Contributor
138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about ordering show tickets for Palais Garnier

It is very easy to get tickets! Go to their website: http://www.operadeparis.fr/ . Look under the tab "calendar". It will show you all performances at The Palais and at the Opera Bastille. When tickets are available for online sales, you will see a flag indicating you can order tickets. Select your dates, your preferred seat, provide you credit card and address and voila` - they will send you the tickets. I ordered mine in January for a mid-May performance and I have just received the tickets. Also, when you buy tickets, you will be able to see how the stage will look from your seat.

Yes, it is opulent! The virtual tour is amazing! I am now trying to decide on what I will wear!