We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you do a budget for a trip...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
If you do a budget for a trip...

Do you do it in euros? or dollars or whatever your countries currency is? jdbri brought this up in another post and I am curious. And how do you estimate the exchange rate?

I did a budget for a friend in US dollars because she told me the max she could spend and I did it to see if I thought she could make the trip.

When I do a budget I use euros for Paris or other euro countries and pounds for the UK...but I've travelled enough that the real only variable for me is how cheap can I get the airfare... Or if I decide to go to an upscale hotel...which I have not done in a while. That would affect my budget. But basically I spend about the same each trip. I figure the euro with credit card/exchange rate fees as costing $1.50 and this past trip to London about the same. Of course last year a pound cost 2.03 US so I had to increase food costs etc.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

HI -

I usually figure my costs in addition to airfare, of course, in whatever currency will be involved and then calculate back to dollars, building in at least a 10% cushion for rate changes. If the exchange rates have been especially volatile, I might increase that cushion to 15% or even 20%. If the total is too high, I go back to the drawing board and change the costs that are at all flexible - cheaper hotel, fancy dinner, whatever I can find that has a little fat in it. I'm like you, I spend about the same amount on each trip. I don't shorten the trip, but I might defer a day trip or two to another visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

For things I purchase in the UK (flights, etc.), I work in Sterling (and that's what I'm billed in). For things purchased 'on the ground' (meals, museum entrances, etc.) I work in local currency (in the case of Paris, euros) as that's what I'll be actually spending (or going to spend and that's usually how the price is quoted to me).

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

I calcualte in the local currency of the country I plan to visit, I then estimate how much will cost on my local currency. And of course I keep checking the exchange rate and do some chances according to the ammount I have availiable.

I personaly find it very annoying when someone insist to mention costs on a currency other than the one used in the country involved. Times to times we get many questions into Greek forums mentioning budget in US$, sometimes GBP, sometimes CAN$, sometimes even AUS$.

First of all no one can predict what the exchange rate will be in the future, so to give accurate repplies, and then I can't understand why the OP can't make the calculations hisself, leaving all the job to who ever is kind enough to answer. It is rude and selfish.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but that's just my opinion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

I agree with you 100%, mariha. I'd even go as far as to suggest it's a form of latent racism.

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

I've always budgeted in the currency in which i'm charged eg canadian for airfare euros in europe and never compare costs "i can get that cheaper at home " if that's the kind of thing that bothers you then stay home because one of the joys of travel is it's not the same as home end of story

jim

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

Thanks for the responses. My question is answered...I agree you can't compare to 'home' cause you aren't 'home.' And it is irritating to read posts asking for prices in other than the country's currency. And that exchange rate can really change costs if you aren't paying attention!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

I agree with you 100%, mariha. I'd even go as far as to suggest it's a form of latent racism.

- - that is about the most asinine remark I've ever read on this forum.

I attribute the posts using home currency in the questions to inexperienced travelers who haven't begun to switch their brain over to the economy of the place they're planning to visit. It's inconvenient for people trying to help them but, seriously - "racism" ?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

Racism? Come on. Ignorance and stupidity... yes, but hardly racism.

Among Canadians and Americans who have never traveled to Europe I would bet a large percentage don't know what a Euro is worth or even which countries use Euros. Sad but true.

So Mariha, please don't get upset. Just remember PT Barnum's maxim. ;^)

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

> that is about the most asinine remark I've ever read on this forum. <

Over eight thousand posts? Come on! It's a perfectly correct and reasonable comment.

> I attribute the posts using home currency in the questions to inexperienced travelers who haven't begun to switch their brain over to the economy of the place they're planning to visit. It's inconvenient for people trying to help them but, seriously - "racism" ? <

Yes, and you've just explained why.

> Racism? Come on. Ignorance and stupidity... yes, but hardly racism. <

So, you think being ignorant and stupid excuses racism?

> Among Canadians and Americans who have never traveled to Europe I would bet a large percentage don't know what a Euro is worth or even which countries use Euros. Sad but true. <

And that's not a form of racism because...?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
463 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you do a budget for a trip...

"...a form of latent racism".

What a silly thing to say. I'm sure that if you look hard enough for something you'll be sure to find it wherever you want.