We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

Media, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

Hi all,

This may seem like a really silly/weird question, but I have a question about the metro system itself and using the Navigo pass, physically - not about obtaining it. How are the stations set up themselves - do you slide the pass on a scanner and go through a turnstile? Is it a contact point? Do you show someone? or is it only checked when you're on board? Thanks!

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,845 Reviews
from US$37.50*
US$44.00
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$109.90*
9 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
24,470 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

This will become obvious when you first use it. The Navigo cards have a chip which is read through a contact point at the turnstiles or when boarding a bus.

Your card can also be checked by inspectors anytime you are using the transportation network. Cards are nontransferable and must have your photo attached and your name printed in the space provided.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
2. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

Basically you hold your navigo card above a point just in front of and to the side of the turnstile. It senses the card and releases the lock. Similar to a keyfob.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

The contact point is a purple disc, 6 or 8 inches across. Scan/tap your pass, and there will be a tone when it is accepted - there may also be a light, but I can't remember for sure. The first time I used mine, I don't think it registered, but fortunately it wasn't checked. The contact point is the same on both the Metro and public buses.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
973 posts
4. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

If you do a google image search for "Navigo turnstile" you'll get lots of results of what the contact points look like.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

This site has a picture of a sensor on a turnstile: https://medium.com/tempomoneytransfer/all-yo…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

Just watch the others - instant training session.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
136 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

If you're getting the one week pass be sure to bring an ID-sized photo of yourself. You can buy the pass at the airport! Have fun!

Media, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

Thanks everyone!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass

The card need only be held in close proximity to the purple target on a turnstile. Some people keep the card in a pocket or bag and just hold it near the target, which is sufficient for it to be read.

Reply to: Physically using the Navigo Decouverte pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted