We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
Bonjour,

We are considering accommodations near Rue du Lyon & Avenue Ledru-Rollin in Paris. We love to walk and we are wondering if the neighborhood is a safe neighbourhood and if the avenue that crosses the river from there is good for walking? The area looks very conveniently located but we are not very familiar with Paris after only one visit years ago. I have read that Le Marais and St. Germain areas are popular and this area appears to be not too far from them. I look forward to any comments. Thank you!

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,846 Reviews
from US$37.60*
US$44.20
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$110.40*
3 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
454 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: location

I have stayed in this area several times, including last year, and I will be staying in the area again in September. I like it very much. It is safe, as is the rest of Paris, and it is not as touristy. So long as you are near the Metro and bus lines, you are able to move throughout the city easily, and this area has that. There are two Metro stations within easy walking distance of the area you mention - at Gare de Lyon you find 2 Metro stations and 2 RER lines, and at Bastille, there are three Metro stations. These should help move you around the city easily.

Just about everything you need is in the area, including patisseries, boulangeries, all kinds of restaurants and shops, plus you are within walking distance of a number of places if you do not mind 15, 20 or 30 minute walks. The Marais is close by near the Bastille. My favorite bistro, favorite crepe/gallette place, and favorite patisserie are all very close to Ledru-Rollin/Rue de Lyon intersection, so for me it is a good area in which to stay. Walking anywhere around there should be safe.

Le Marais and St. Germain are very popular with tourists, and they are worth looking into also.

Enjoy your return to Paris. It's a beautiful city.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
136 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: location

If you are on Ledru-Rollin proper head north one block and make a right on Rue de Charonne, Septime and Clamato are practically next to each other. It's a normal, locals neighborhood. Have a terrific time.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: location

It's a great area. Very safe and not far from Le Marais, a bit further to St Germain.

IIRC, there's a great bakery over that way and many, many options for dining/shopping.

Reply to: location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted