We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
25 reviews
Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

Can anyone shed light on the notice on the Paris Info website saying the Village de Noel is discontinued?

Thanks,

Jen

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,845 Reviews
from US$37.50*
US$44.00
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,290 Reviews
from US$109.90*
22 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
466 posts
297 reviews
1. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

The license of the company which was organizing the Champs Elysées Christmas market for years has not been renewed. As of today it is still unclear what will happen next winter there. Nevertheless there are many other " Villages de Noël " throughout the city and in La Défense.

Paris
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

This was in the news in June and July. The city is feuding with the man who runs the market. He also controls the giant Ferris wheel, and there have been feuds about that too. I thought there were plans afoot to have a more upscale market on the Champs this year, but I have heard nothing new about that.

http://tinyurl.com/yabp95wj

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
3. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

I was curious about that as well. Whether it will take place winter 2017 and be gone in 2018. Or if it won’t take place in 2017 at all.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
4. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

I wouldn't be surprised if the heightened threat from lunatic terrorists at markets such as this hasn't added to the non-renewal decision in some way.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,789 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

Nope. Not a terrorist issue. More of a mafia thing. The guy who has been running the show is a crook.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,100 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

Would be nice if they could take the opportunity to improve the market. It is really pathetic; cheap Chinese tat and junk you can buy anywhere for less. The street food and mulled drinks are okay and there are some activities for kids so it is sort of fun to do once -- but as a market, it is deeply terrible.

Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

Have you been at the same market??!!!

The Champs Elysee market is one of the best, awash with traditional French food stalls loaded with cheeses, wines and delicious foods, also artisan arts and crafts!

Yes there are some ‘tat stalls’ ( there are in every market!) but these are far outweighed by the fantastic foods on offer and the lovely ice rink , lights etc.

There are plenty of high end stores available on the boulevard if that’s your thing.

I am gutted that this might not run in 2017 as it’s been a favourite for years.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

First time heading into France and EU this Dec and it won't be on. Really devastated by this development sigh

California
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

Don't dispair, jskf--there are other Christmas markets happening in Paris: https:/…christmas-markets-in-paris

Herblay, France
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
10. Re: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?

Attendance at La Défense Christmas market was way down last year. I went and normally you have to fight your way through but barely anyone there. Might also have something to do with it. Lovely cup / kitchen utensils stall on the Champs last year. Hope it moves up to La Défense.

Reply to: Champs Elysees Christmas market 2017 discontinued?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted