We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to see?

We are just finalizing a one-month house exchange in Angers in September. I have done extensive research about the Loire Valley but I don’t know too much about the area east of Angers. Nantes is about an hour away and Rennes about an hour, 45 minutes. I already have Mont Saint Michel, Dinan, and the Carnac area on my list of really like to see. (These are about on the limit for a day trip.) We are interested in the history and culture. What else would you suggest as a must see in this area?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,807 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see?

Instead of making day trips to these places I would urge you to consider an overnight or even two to really get a minimal flavor for what these areas have to offer. I know that means you're double paying on accommodation but the regions near Carnac and Dinan have enough to keep you busy for well over a week each and you still wouldn't see everything.

I've written trip reports about visiting each of these areas that are full of photos and descriptions. Here is my report about Carnac and its environs:

http://tinyurl.com/2555vaf

And here is my report about Dinan and its environs:

http://tinyurl.com/86s4v8f

Essex
Level Contributor
27,757 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see?

St Nazaire is worth a visit to see the U-boat pens. Also the Normandie dock, both sites have WW2 history if you are interested in that.

St Nazaire has some nice beaches, and further out of the Loire Estuary is St Marc, where Monsieur Hulot's Holiday was filmed at the Hotel De La Plage.

This area is 'day trippy' enough from where you are staying.

Saumur and Nantes are also worth visiting.

For the Brittany areas you have mentioned above, I'm with F_M on this, with one month at your disposal, you have plenty of time for 'weekends away', overnighters and even a week elsewhere. You would certainly get more out of the MSM/St Malo/Dinan/Dinard/Cancale and the rest of the Northern Brittany Coast if you can organise to stay up there for a week or so. It does not have to be 'expensive' there are gites to be had (F_M is the expert on finding last minute deals) or Chambres d'Hote and some small Hotels really do not charge lots of money per night. Then you have budget Hotels like Formule1, Premier Classe etc.

3. Re: What to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:42