We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Syrian Migrants

1 post
Syrian Migrants

Has anyone encountered disruptions when visiting Normandy Beach in France? We are contemplating going on a river cruise to that area.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
683 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
742 Reviews
from US$48.30*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,282 Reviews
from US$111.90*
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Syrian Migrants

I go to Normandy often,the last time being late last year and was there three times during 2015 for a week each time,during which we spent every day driving to the various WW2 sites in the area. We never encountered one single invader while there,as Normandy is really thankfully quite far out of the way for them and they seem to mostly be wanting to get to the UK, hence them hanging around the port of Calais which is the closest point.

Of you are going on a river cruise I doubt even more that you will encounter any.

I really don't think you'll encounter any of them in Normandy.

PS: in your post you refer to "Normandy Beach" but Normandy has a very long coastline so I'm assuming you meant the D-Day sites from Le Havre through to Cherbourg. Either way,I doubt you'll even see any of them.

Edited: 07 March 2016, 14:38
England, United...
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Syrian Migrants

<<We never encountered one single invader>>

There are many words to describe the Syrian migrants/refugees but they are not "invaders".

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Syrian Migrants

there are many way to describe post number one -- the first to mind are "sarcasm" and "satire"

England, United...
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Syrian Migrants

Whichever way you look at it, a permanent state of "tongue in cheek" gives you a rather ugly appearance.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
5. Re: Syrian Migrants

I doubt you will meet any Syrians but you may encounter some English refugees coming the other way after June's EU referendum.

Ed

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Syrian Migrants

so does trying to walk with a permanent insertion.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Syrian Migrants

@AnnR,

Your question requires some serious consideration. Please explain why you're fearful that Syrian migrants would disrupt your cruise. Have you read about an influx of Syrian migrants in the Normandy region? Are you concerned that passengers will not be able to leave the ship? Are you fearful of physical attacks? Are you concerned that crowds of the immigrants will prevent you from following a tour guide or from simply walking around?

If you want serious answers, please provide more information.

MrsJAS

England, United...
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: Syrian Migrants

<<so does trying to walk with a permanent insertion>>

Poor you, that sounds painful.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
93 reviews
9. Re: Syrian Migrants

Even if you met some Syrian immigrants what difference would it make?

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: Syrian Migrants

Isn't it possible that the original poster's question about "disruptions" is sincere and comes from a lack of knowledge? I will admit that I found the question disturbing when I first read it, then decided to set aside my feelings and that the post should receive a serious answer. She will probably not return to the forum and explain her question.