We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to go??

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
Place to go??

My husband and I are looking for a place to go for 10 days or so in France. We've been to Provence area couple of times but fancy somewhere else this time. what we're looking for is a nice quaint town with beautiful old buildings, narrow cobbled streets kind of thing - pretty town squares - a fair bit of hubbub - plenty of restaurants, cafes, shops etc so it'll keep us entertained walking around the town on a daily basis. I've spent ages looking for a place like that but don't quite seem to be able to find it. We'd be very grateful if anyone can recommend a place that'll tick those boxes! Fairly urgent as we'd like to go end of June.

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,840 Reviews
from US$37.80*
US$43.60
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,120 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Place to go??

How are you travelling to France? Will you have a car? Would you like to be near the sea? Do you mind a biggish town/ city? At the moment it's a very wide brief!

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Place to go??

We are not going to be driving (neither of us like driving abroad unfortunately). We like to see other things/towns round about but have to get a bus or taxi to do so. It would be nice to be near the sea but not an absolute must. We Like a town big enough to have lots of little streets to explore but definitely not a city. Antibbe is very nice but haven't quite enough to look at. We like lots of little streets (can have big streets/town squares too) with lots of restaurants, shops etc. - needs a bit of hubbub - don't mind touristy as long as it's old/charming. Will be grateful for any advice you may have!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Place to go??

Have a look at Languedoc, maybe with Montpellier as a base, splitting your stay there with some other place (Perpignan, Nimes, Pézenas) or going a bit further (Arles). Although Montpellier has become quite a large city, its old centre feels much smaller. It's also a good base for travelling around by train & bus.

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Place to go??

Thank's for suggesting these towns. I've tried to find some information and images to get an idea of what they are like but can't find much . We were in Dinan ( not Dinard!) in Brittany some years ago and would love to find a town like that in a different area of France, it's such a beautiful old town full of little cobbled winding streets with lots of restaurants, cafes, little town squares, shops with a real hubbub feel to it - would just like a different location to explore.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for France
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Place to go??

Try this site as a start

http://www.france-voyage.com/en/

You might like Sarlat, Chinon, Loches, Arles is a great idea. So would be Strasbourg, Colmar, Annecy, Bourges, Auxerre. Vaison-la-Romaine is smaller but interesting as well.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Place to go??

Sarlat will check all your boxes.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Place to go??

I'll add Uzes (Eastern Languedoc), Semur-en-Auxois (Northern Burgundy) and Senlis (Picardy) to the small towns already suggested by others.

That said, I think the suggestion by dg2006 in post 3 to base yourself in a somewhat bigger place like Montpellier with good transport connections is a good one because 10 days is a long time, so you may well want to do some day trips. Another such base you could consider is Toulouse which has good public transport links to many other interesting places like Carcassonne, Albi, Moissac and more.

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Place to go??

Wow, lots of places to check out, thank's to everyone for your suggestions - really appreciate it! Hope we choose the right place to go to!

9. Re: Place to go??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 March 2016, 21:58
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,045 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: Place to go??

I'm thinking Dinan. A lovely town with a quite medieval centre, a castle, a port down on the river which has a different vibe, a totally medieval street to walk back up from the port which used to be the medieval main road. We even stayed in a medieval B&B half way up.

Truly a charming town, and well connected to places nearby.

http://tinyurl.com/nkwk44n