We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Cherbourg...drive to La Rochelle? Surf/Beaches.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferry to Cherbourg...drive to La Rochelle? Surf/Beaches.

My boyfriend and I are looking into the possibility of having a 7 day holiday to France in mid August.

We live in Bournemouth so are looking to get the cheap ferry over to Cherbourg with our own car and drive down to the area surrounding La Rochelle. We have been told there are some good surf spots and nice beaches in this area.

My BF loves to surf but this will not be the focus of our trip. We are looking to have a few beach days and some other days exploring, perhaps wine tasting etc. Just generally fitting a bit in during the week.

We have not got a set budget but are not looking to stay in pure luxury! We are happy with somewhere where we can sleep and if we can, it would be nice if we can have an outside area (not fussed about a pool) where we can BBQ or eat/drink nice wine outside.

If there is anywhere cheap or anyone can recommend a night to stop off for a nice restaurnt etc on the way from Cherbourg-La Rochelle area then bonus as we can break the drive up but if not we will be happy to drive through,

Any other recommendations will be appreciated or different ideas that could involve my boyfriend getting a little bit of surf time in!

Thanks

Alice

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,424 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Cherbourg...drive to La Rochelle? Surf/Beaches.

Take a look at some of the campsites. Not luxury but a bed under you and a roof over your head.

Keycamp have a number of sites in the area www.keycamp.co.uk And the best thing about these is that you can stay for 3 nights or so in peak season.

Rennes is a nice town to stop off in and is directly on your route. But the Cotentin Peninsula (where Cherbourg is located) is also very interesting. Lots of WW2 areas of interest.

If you were prepared to drive a few hours further, then Biarritz and the surrounding area is fabulous.

In the La Rochelle area, consider driving over to Cognac to do a tour of a Brandy Distillery. Having done the Hennessy one, I'm quite happy to recommend. http://www.cognacwinetours.com/hennessy.htm

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Cherbourg...drive to La Rochelle? Surf/Beaches.

South of La Rochelle at the tip of the Gironde Estuary are La Palmyre and Royan (surfing possibilities). Nearby (12km from Royan) is Talmont, one of the most beautiful villages in France. It is a walled village, situated on a cliff overlooking the Gironde Estuary and was built by Edward I of England who reigned in France at the time.

As to an overnight: depending on what time your ferry arrives, here is a possibility:-

Cherbourg - Angers approx. 4hrs (230 miles) - overnight in Angers

Angers - La Rochelle approx. 21/4 hrs (120 miles)

This route will take you through the beautiful countryside of the

Mayenne. Angers is a very nice town bordering the Regional Park of the Loire-Anjou-Normandy. We stayed at the Hotel du Mail (rue des Ursules) where we could park the car in the courtyard and walk to places of interest.

Cherbourg - Fougeres approx. 21/4 hrs (121 miles) - overnight in Fougeres

Fougeres - La Rochelle approx. 31/2 hrs (192 miles).

Fougeres is a fortress town (Chateau de Fougeres). It is worth a visit here even if you do not stay overnight as it is a very nice mediaeval town. I recommend an audio guided tour of the castle. There is a very nice and reasonably priced cafe/brasserie just opposite the entrance.

We stayed at the Lion d'Or just 6 miles south of Fougeres in Saint-Brice-en- Cogles. We bought some food and wine locally (within walking distance) which we ate on the patio outside our room in the courtyard.

Edited: 12 March 2012, 19:54
Essex
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Cherbourg...drive to La Rochelle? Surf/Beaches.

Hossegor is supposed to be THE destination for Surfing in France. However it is quite a bit further south than La Rochelle - nearer to Biarritz/Bayonne in fact.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Cherbourg...drive to La Rochelle? Surf/Beaches.

Great, thanks all for your responses!

Does anyone know any good (cheaper) accomodation nearer Biarritz etc?

Ta! Alice

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,424 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Cherbourg...drive to La Rochelle? Surf/Beaches.

Again look at the campsites.

There is one in Le Vieux Port near Messanges www.levieuxport.com This campsite backs onto a beach and people surf there.

6. Re: Ferry to Cherbourg...drive to La Rochelle? Surf/Beaches.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:43