We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester to Alton towers

Valletta,Malta
Level Contributor
242 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester to Alton towers

Hi chaps,

We are planning to Visit Manchester for a week in Sept/Oct 09...

What we would like to do Is attend to a game in Old Traffold,Spend a Day shoping & spend 2 or 3 days : Alton Tower Park...

Whats the most Hassle free & not That expensive way to go from Manchester City or Airport to Alton Towers?

Is it by Public Transport? Or else Its better to Hire a car for abt 3 or 4 Days?

I belive that for our stay in Manchester city centre we dont need a car as even Old Trafford is reachable by publick Transport...

Thanks

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

to be honest, i think you may have to hire a car. the only other alternative would be to go by coach or train and then bus.

holidayextras.co.uk/theme-parks/alton-towers…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

I may have misunderstood what you have put but are you planning on spending two to three days at Alton Towers?

Last time I went was as a child and it was a day in a theme park - have things changed there?

Yes you are correct you don't need a car whilst in Manchester city centre. There is excellent public transport from around and from Manchester city centre.

'Attend a game in Old Trafford' - if you mean a football game as opposed to cricket (not sure when the cricket season finishes) please look in advance at getting tickets as I believe Man U tickets may be difficult to get hold of.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

I think Alton Towers is big enough (and busy enough) to justify a couple of days nowadays - although mid-week in September it should be quiet enough to do all the main rides in a day.

One or two hotels there now - although it's 4/5* prices for 2* standards.

If you drive there, I'd recommend the scenic (and just as quick - maybe quicker) route via Congleton and Leek rather than the M6.

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

Alton Towers is somewhat "middle of nowhere". The easiest route from Manchester by public transport is train to Stoke on Trent (regular Virgin trains service) followed by bus to Alton Towers. The bus service runs 07:10, 08:20, 09:15, 10:10, 11:10 weekdays and Saturday (fewer on SUnday) and costs £4.50 return. From time to tiem Virgin does an inclusive fare and Alton Towers entry deal.

If you are just doing the theme park a day is wasily enough unless you do mid peak season (which is mad) in which case you will spend most of your tiem queueing. After the first week of September schools will be back and you should be fine.

Valletta,Malta
Level Contributor
242 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

thanks for all your help...

Yeap We like to spend @ least 2 days in a theme park..Going in abt 11.30 till 16.30..so 2 days you covered everything & go again on favorites ride:-)

Looks like A Hired car will Do ...As after we would like a drive & take some photos...

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

have you considered blackpool pleasure beach? you can easily catch a train and it would be much easier to spend a couple of days there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

I would agree with bagg10 I personally think Blackpool pleasure beach would be better (saying that it's years since I've been to either).

However the hotels / B & Bs would be much cheaper in Blackpool and there are far more things to do in the evenings in Blackpool compared to around Alton Towers.

Also if you're hiring a car you could maybe spend a day in the Lake District too or simply get the train to Blackpool as has been suggested.

Very good suggestion bagg10.

Valletta,Malta
Level Contributor
242 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

Will Take a look @Blackpool as well Yes have read abt it in the past...But as we are flying to Manchester thought that Alton Towers are more near by? Maybe Im wrong........

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

Both places are a similar distance from Manchester (in virtually opposite directions).

Blackpool would be much easier to visit using public transport (regular direct train service from Manchester to Blackpool).

They are worlds apart:

Blackpool working class seaside town - lots to do - huge pleasure beach with loads of thrill rides. Very lively at night (particularly the weekends).

Alton Towers is a more traditional theme park, set in some very nice countryside on the site of an old stately home/hall. If you go for Alton Towers and want to stay for two days you're best bet is probably the hotels there - arguably the best bit is that you get into the park an hour before all the day visitors get in. This means you can get on most of the main rides before everyone else and avoid the queues.

10. Re: Manchester to Alton towers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 06:30