We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

Darwen, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

Im flying from manchester airport in september. Flight is booked for 5:00am on a monday morning. what time should i arrive at the airport to give me plenty of time to get through everything before boarding. i havent yet decided if im chickingin online or at the airport. but need a rough time to book the taxi to the airport.

thanks for reading

9 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

If it's short haul, then 03.00, if long haul 02.00 Eek!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

Check what your airline says on this topic. It all depends.

Some airlines only allow bagdrop from about 2 hours before flight departure, whereas other recommend 3 hours beforehand especially if it's a long-haul flight. Personally I aim to get there about 2.5 hours before departure, get through all the hassle-factors and then relax.

If you've no bags to drop then, you can cut timings finer especially if it's an internal UK flight.

Most people checkin online if you have the choice; but that doesn't really make much difference to timings. Timing for getting through security is very unpredictable; I've done it in 10 mins and it's also taken me 40+ mins.

Boarding often starts about 30 mins before departure.

Radcliffe, United...
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

I would aim to be at the airport for 2am that will give you plenty of time if security is busy/slow.

Darwen, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

Thank you very much everyone. I’ll aim to be there for 2/2:30

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

I’d be looking at getting there 2.5 and 3 hours beforehand.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 21:58
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

I didn't realise flights actually left Manchester as early as 0500. Will you be checking in baggage? You'd need to check with your airline, but they surely aren't going to have staff there all night. Not much point arriving at 0200 if the bag-drop doesn't open till after 0300. And it's hard to imagine that security will take long - who's going to be ahead of you in the queue?

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
961 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

We had a 5 am stupid o clock flight at the weekend with Thomas cook check-in desk were open at 2.15 when we arrived, we needed assistance but this did not open till 3 security not too bad but only a couple of desks open and staff were being fast tracked through, far enough, duty free open, what a surprise, only big bar upstairs in terminal one open, then other shops seamed to be opening around 3.30 till 4 ish,

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

I regularly fly out of Manchester usually T1 or T3. If I've checked in online I usually aim to be at the airport 90 minutes before my flight if I have luggage or 60 minutes if hand luggage regardless wether short haul or long haul.

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.

I guess it depends on how good your nerves are and whether you want to build in a margin for error in case something goes wrong on the way to the airport.

Reply to: how soon should i arrive at manchester airport.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted