We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days alone while husband is working

wisconsin
Level Contributor
66 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
2 days alone while husband is working

will be traveling to Manchester by train with husband beginning of August. He will leave town for 2 days on business and I will remain to explore solo. Will be staying and Renaissance Marriott. Suggestions for dinner solo? Or any other suggestions?

12 replies to this topic
Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

Welcome to Manchester , don't worry you will be safe and hopefully have an interesting time.

There are more than enough decent dining establishments in the city where you won't feel awkward eating alone.

For staters Science and Industry Museum ,John Roland's Library, Cheethams School of music, People's museum Manchester Art gallery all free within short walks.

Just out of town Manchester museum, Whitworth Art gallery.by short bus ride( or walk) by tram to Salford Quays and the Imperial war museum. All free.

Check out The Bridgewater Hall for a concert maybe even a free lunchtime concert.

Consider one day in either Liverpool or Chester ( 1 hr train journey)

Hundreds of dining options please give our brilliant TA advisors more about your personal preferences and budget also have you visited before ?

Just google some of the above for starters and enjoy.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

You could head out to the Trafford Centre if you like the large shopping malls. Plenty of places to eat there, cinema etc. Bus goes from Piccadilly Gardens. Number 250 bus. Only takes 20 minutes or so.

If you do go to Salford Quays/Media City, also go to the Lowry art gallery and see some of the late, great local artist L.S.Lowry’s work. Also free. You won’t be short of things to do in Manchester.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

John gives a very good guide as to what is on. The Royal Northern college of Music has free concerts often and the Royal exchange theatre is well worth a visit. There are also some free walking tours which you can enquire about in the Tourist information office and some ones which you pay a small amount for as well, especially with the weather being nice. Depending on what days you are up maybe a trip to Elizabeth Gaskill's house or the Pankhurst centre or the Gallery of Costume plus the Whitworth art gallery is well worth a visit and has a amazing cafe/restaurant which does lovely meals, lovely cakes and lattes. Also worth considering might be a trip to Manchester cathedral.

In terms of cuisine Manchester has virtually every cuisine available, with Manchester China Town in the centre with a range of chinese restaurants of different regions of China,along with Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese and Malaysian restaurants as well. If you want a decent Indian restaurant Swadesh on Portland street is amazing, doing a excellent lunchtime buffet, If you do not mind basic then there are loads of curry cafes doing amazing authentic pakistani food, some on Tibb street, and the amazing Cafe Marharba if you can find it on Back Piccadilly. Also Effee's restaurant on Portland street is brilliant doing excellent turkish food. Loads of other choices in the Northern Quarter V Rev is a amazing vegan dinner, which has been reviewed by the Guardian. Also on thursdays, fridays and the weekend there is a food market in Piccadilly gardens doing a large range of takeaway meals.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,530 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

Your other thread has been closed down for some bizarre reason.

I have asked for it to be re-opened, but suggest you do the same.

Otherwise, look at it "Quick"!!!! before all the info I posted on drivers/tours in the Peak District is lost!

Edited: 05 July 2018, 19:50
wisconsin
Level Contributor
66 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

Why would the other thread be removed?? Was it offensive? smh

Essex
Level Contributor
31,530 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

No, but I think as the discussion 'ventured' outside of London, even though London was included, that could be enough of a reason for those who are a bit "twitchy" on the trigger finger!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
66 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

Well thank goodness! I probably wouldn't have received accurate responses to my question. How foolish of me. Lesson learned. Thank you EssexWanderer for your excellent responses to my posts.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

Hello,

You will have read this ?

https://www.visitmanchester.com/

Your hotel in the former newspaper publishing/commercial part of the city centre(center to you) is ideally located for central attractions and, be adventurous because it is next to a transport hub.

An hour or less/more will take you to either York or Liverpool. A day trip ?

The City has entertainment venues from classical music, theatre to whatever.

You might try international cuisine according to preference and eating alone in an international business City is normal.

Just search here

https:/…manchester-restaurants

Afternoon tea indulgence at the Midland Hotel or elsewhere in town (coffee is available!)

https:/…

Perhaps enough to consider as you research.

Any preferred activity from art galleries to zoology ?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
66 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

Thank you for the wonderful information. No particular food cravings nor adventure in mind. Would prefer outside if weather cooperates. Have never traveled solo for this amount of time in US and never outside the states. I am looking forward for this adventure.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days alone while husband is working

Hi, again.

Your hotel has a concierge desk

Use it to the nth degree !

Reply to: 2 days alone while husband is working
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted