We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rugby, England...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Hi,

We're coming upto Lancaster soon and Id like to treat my lady to a really good meal.

Are there any exceptional resteraunts in the area?

many thanks

15 replies to this topic
Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

What's your style Andy? Has it got to be a restaurant, or will a fancy pub do?

If it's the former, what type? Indian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Greek, Mexican, Italian or good old plain English?

Plenty of choice in the City Centre, but some good gems out in the sticks if you are prepared to travel.

Enjoy your trip!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Where are you staying and how far are you prepared to travel?

Car available?

Give Lancasterkebabman and other advisors more info.

Rugby, England...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Sorry guys!!

We're at the holiday inn and will be in and around the city centre come the evening.

We aren't fussy, i'm just looking for something special that we don't have in a small town

Hows the Brazilian place or the few french resteraunts i have found online?

Thanks!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Thanks. Now we know you want restaurants in the City.

It's quite a compact centre.

Booking is advisable at the week-end.

The Lancaster forum is in the specific menu bar box.

We suggest you look at the places listed in TA website with reviews:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187064-Lancas…

It's your money and choice.

Have fun

Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

To be honest I didn't even know we had a Brazilian restaurant in Lancaster, I'm more of a pub goer myself.

To be honest, although I've never been to Bistro 26, I have heard good reports about it from others, it has some very good up to date reviews, and is in a very nice part of old Lancaster. If I were you I'd chose that one, but be sure to go into the Sun Hotel for a drink after the meal, which is on Sun Street by the junction with Church Street, it's a quality boozer which has some cracking ale and wine on, try a pint of Lancaster black, it's good stuff!

I have been to the French restaurant, on the quayside, but it was a while ago, and only average from what I remember. I'm not big on frogs legs and raw mince and all that :)

If pub grub takes a fancy, try the Water Witch down by the canal, or the Borough in Dalton Square. you won't be disappointed with either.

You will need a taxi from the Holiday Inn and back, no doubt the hotel will sort you one into town, but coming back the taxi rank is by the bus station, which if you go down the road directly opposite the Sun Hotel pub, is at the bottom of the road, alternatively put 01524 32090 in your phone and ring for one.

Enjoy your trip to Lancaster, if you need any more info, just ask away!

Rugby, England...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Thanks very much!

Looking forward to it, My Grandad (94) grew up in Caton so Im looking to explore there then a ight in Lancaster

Thanks again!

Biddulph, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Hi,

I'm taking my partner to Lancaster for a surprise birthday treat on Sept 7th and 8th. We're staying at the Sun Hotel and eating there on the Friday evening but I know he'd enjoy walking to a pub afterwards that has live entertainment. I wondered if anyone could suggest somewhere. We're in our late 40's, quite modern but don't want a typical student gaff. We're going to the theatre on the Saturday evening and I'm thinking of taking him to Marinos after. Any thoughts about this choice of restaurant or any other suggestions? I really want it to be a lovely weekend for him 'cos he works really hard. : )

Thanks for any help offered.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Hi Relaxed,

Good choice with the Sun hotel, good food and great beer. It does tend to get quite busy of a weekend, so be prepared for a bit of a squeeze.

As for the entertainment, most places do cater for the students in Lancaster, but there won't be many about when you are coming. A couple of good venues are the Golden Lion and the Robert Gillow. The Golden Lion has a rather "lived in" look about it, but should have a band playing on the Saturday. The Robert Gillow is a small pub, on the way to the railway station, and they should have music on also.

A couple of others worthy of merit are "The Pub", which is a bikers pub just round the corner from the Sun, which has some excellent bands playing, mostly heavy rock covers if that's your bag. The John O' Gaunt is similar.

This link takes you to an entertainment site for the area, which should be populated more nearer the time.

http://www.lunevalleyaudio.com/frames.html

Now I thought I new all the restaurants in Lancaster but "Marinos" escapes me. There is an Italian called Marco's, but that's the closest I can get. If you tell me the style of restaurant you are after, I'll point you in the right direction. Lancaster caters for most tastes.

If you need any more info, please ask away. We're a friendly lot up here!

Enjoy your trip!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Hope you don't mind me joining in.

Me and the missus are both Lancaster exiles, living on the Solent Coast. We always make an effort at least once a year to visit the town, and our next visit is between 7-12 September, next weekend.

Staying for a couple of nights at the Royal Kings Arms. I know it's a little grubby, but you can't get more central, and the place has got lots of faded glory. If we get the room we've asked for it should be alright.

We had our wedding reception there in 1976, so the RKA has got fond memories. Booked on-line with www.oxfordinns.co.uk. Got a great deal, £92 for two nights B&B (for 2), with dinner and a bottle of wine thrown in on the first night. Great English breakfast there too, and the staff are all friendly.

Our last 3 nights we're staying at the Travelodge (next to the top Wetherspoons). Got it for £19 a night (room only), so no complaints there.

Leaving the car at home, and travelling by National Express, so no worries with car parking either.

Don't know where we'll be drinking and eating. We're easy to please, so it'll probably be the top Wetherspoons, or Yates on Church Street.

Might pop in to The Sun for a couple. I used to live on Sun Street as a nipper, so lots and lot of memories of everywhere in Lancaster, and can remember when the corporation buses went up Lower Penny street, and onto Market Street at horse-shoe corner.

We'll be visiting Morecambe (the town that time forgot!) too. Just jump on the bus. No.3 or No.4 are best, as they hit the promenade at Bare, and it's a lovely scenic run along to where we normally jump off, opposite Eric Morecambe's statue (my avatar). Favourite pub in Morecambe is The Tivoli. It's full of salt of the earth types, a lot of whom visited the resort for a day and never left! The beers good, the only Samuel Smith's pub in the area.

Edited: 27 August 2012, 09:00
Biddulph, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)

Thanks so much, LancasterKebab. Only just returned from a holiday so haven't been able to reply earlier. Thanks for all your suggestions for Friday night entertainment. We'll definitely find something now. The rock bands sound good. Thanks also for the entertainments link.

It's so weird about Marino's because I can't find any info about it now!! I thought I'd saved it in Favs. The weird thing is, I actually spoke to the owner to check that they were definitely open until 11pm on the Saturday so we could eat after the show. Must be cracking up! So, yes, I'm looking to hopefully book somewhere that serves late enough to eat at maybe about 10.15 to 10.30pm, as I'm not certain what time the performance finishes. The awkward bit is that my partner is quite fussy, usually only eating traditional British food or, at his most daring, Italian (and that usually only amounts to pizza)! Any ideas who might stay open until about 11pm would be great, thanks.

Can't wait to visit Lancaster and, yes, you do sound like a friendly lot!!

Reply to: Eating out - a treat for the mrs :)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations
More Lancaster Topics