We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

2 posts
Save Topic
How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

Planning on going there Christmas shopping for the bargains sometime soon by train. Is it in a walkable distance from the train station or should I get a bus to the outlet centre?

8 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

Basically right next to it. About ten mins walk from the front of the station iirc.

Edited: 16 November 2017, 19:40
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

It’s a steady walk parallel to and then over the railway line, perhaps 15 minutes rather than 10. The alternative is walk half that distance into town then get a Bus but overall that saves no time. If the heavens open, there is a taxi rank in the station forecourt (or you are heavily burdened in the way back make a note of the Number to call!)

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

Come out of the station, turn left and walk parallel to the railway line (in the direction of Bristol/Cardiff...NOT London/Reading). There is a well lit (usually with a security guard in a cubicle mid distance) passage UNDER the railway lines (no stairs as trains are above ground). The village gets signposted from the other side (if not before then). I'd be surprised if it was more than 10 minutes walk.

It will be busy at the weekends...we've had difficulties parking when we turned up one Sunday lunchtime in December (long queue), so a train is a better option.

Edited: 17 November 2017, 09:17
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

Only to comment that I’d turn RIGHT coming out of the main station entrance.....

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

Just to add that yes it is a RIGHT turn when you come out of the station as corrected above,although the further directions given in post 3 are correct.

I would estimate the walk to be around 15 minutes.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,016 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

Unlike other outlets, Swindon is not weather dependent located as it is in beautifully restored railway sheds.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

Thanks for the responses! Walking seems like a good option actually but may get a taxi if I'm too loaded with stuff and if I don't feel too stingy at the end. I'm considering going on a weekday this week (but it will be a black Friday so I won't be surprised if it's busy) but train is the only option for me as I don't drive so I'm glad it's a good option in busy times, I'll be going from Cardiff so hopefully I'll be able to find this underpass from the train station. But thanks again :)

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?

The Outlet village is well signposted once your out the front of the station so it should be easy enough to locate the underpass,just take a right as soon as you exit the doors and follow the path that runs all the way along the old station walls,once you have passed an open car park on your right the underpass is only a couple of minutes further on.

Alternatively there are usually plenty of taxis waiting outside of the station,i would estimate a taxi costing no more than a Tenner e/w.

Have a great day!.

Reply to: How far is Swindon Designer Outlet from the station?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted