We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

Which Wicklow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
368 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

Hello,

Will be in Ireland end of August and during one of our days in Dublin, would love to take a day trip to Wicklow. However one of the biggest draws there is to see the gaol. None of the day trips I have found include a stop there. Anyone know of a tour that does?

Thanks,

Kerry

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

I don't know of any organised tour from Dublin that includes Wicklow Gaol but perhaps someone else does.

If it's a must see for you, you could take a train from Dublin (Connolly or Pearse stations) to Wicklow town to visit the Gaol. As well as day time access, they have adult only night tours on the last Friday of every month.

http://www.wicklowshistoricgaol.com/

www.irishrail.ie

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
368 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

Thanks tapl - I think that's probably what we'll wind up doing, just taking the train into Wicklow. Do you know if the walk from the train station to the gaol is doable? I haven't been able to find a map that shows the locations of each and the distance between them.

Thanks again,

Kerry

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

It's a while since I've been in Wicklow town but I think the walk from the station to the gaol takes about 20 minutes or so. It's a pretty straightforward route - ask at the station for directions.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

This link visitwicklow.ie/attractions/wicklow_gaol.htm will show you a map of Wicklow town with a pin marking the Gaol and if you zoom in it will show you a train making the train station at the top of the town. They seem to be at the extreme ends of the town so perhaps plan on stopping for a coffee as you pass through town.

And if you want to learn more about Wicklow as you walk its streets you can download a map and mp3 of the Wicklow town walking tour at http://www.wicklow.com/walk/

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
157 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

Hi,

Wicklow town is small. From the train station to the gaol will take you about 10-15 minutes (all flat). The gaol is really good (a little spooky at times but also very sad with some of the stories). It is worth a trip. However, the train timetables are not brilliant from Dublin to Wicklow. Try www.irishrail.ie for timetables.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
368 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

Thanks gmhawthorn! Much appreciated. We're fairly certain we will be doing the train there and back - while the tours through the mountains sounds lovely, we're history/spooky buffs and just cannot pass up the opportunity to see the place. In the US there is a TV series called Ghost Hunters and it's sister show Ghost Hunters International. The GHI second season begins on Wednesday and their first stop of the new season is Wicklow's Gaol ;)

Kerry

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
157 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

Hi rokrchik,

Check out visitwicklow.ie/news/wicklow_gaol_ghosthunte… if you are into all things spooky. I don't think I'll be going on the Friday fright night tour somehow!

8. Re: Wicklow's Gaol + Day Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 05:16