We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Wicklow self drive directions - advice needed

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Dublin to Wicklow self drive directions - advice needed
Save

Hi all

I am working my way through each day's activities for our trip to Ireland in April this year. After three nights in Dublin, we (four ladies) will head off in our hire car for ten days on the road - I am from Australia so am comfortable with the side of the road to drive. Our first overnight stop will be Wicklow Town (room booked at the Bridge Tavern).

I am wondering if you can help me with the best way/route to take.

We hope to rent a car in Dublin city:

Sixt car hire - Dublin St. Stephens or Europcar Dublin

and be on the road by 9.00am

We would like to see:

Powerscourt estate

Powerscourt Waterfall

Glendalough Monastery

A good hour hike in here somewhere

Sally Gap

The bridge from PS I Love You (and any other scenes from this) This is a MUST DO.

and then arrive in Wicklow town with enough time to walk around a little and see what needs to be seen in the town centre.

We head to Kilkenny early the next morning.

Thank you

Kel

2 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
44 reviews
91 helpful votes
1. Re: Dublin to Wicklow self drive directions - advice needed
Save

If you will be traveling the Sally Gap, doubling back to Wicklow town is adding extra mileage . You could consider pressing on and heading for Blessington or even Kilkenny , though it will be a long day .The Blessington lakes also feature in the film, apparently.

The R759 is the road you want - the bridge is along that way .

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
2. Re: Dublin to Wicklow self drive directions - advice needed
Save

Hi Brid

Thanks for answering - so you would suggest not staying in Wicklow but maybe stay in Blessington? I am happy to continue on to Kilkenny but, as you said it will be a long day, and I would prefer to be off the roads by dark (and in a cosy pub chatting to the locals :))

I will have a look at Blessington as a stopover - any suggestions for accommodation and pub?

Reply to: Dublin to Wicklow self drive directions - advice needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wicklow
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.