We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storing Luggage

Lincroft, New Jersey
11 posts
Storing Luggage
Save

My family of 6 will be visiting Ireland in May 2020. I have read many posts about car windows being smashed and cars robbed and it seems to increasing. Wondering if there is anywhere to store luggage while exploring the Wicklow area.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
214 reviews
456 helpful votes
1. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

There was one recent thread that advises to store items out of sight in the boot. I haven't heard about Cars being stolen or that the break ins have been prolific of late - where have you read that?

Can't you leave your luggage at your accommodation?

Lincroft, New Jersey
11 posts
2. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

I belong to a few Ireland travel sites on Facebook and they seem to mention the break-ins quite often. Unfortunately we would be stopping in the Wicklow area between hotels.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
766 posts
7 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

The bad news stories of theft last longer and travel further than the boring crime-free stories. So it may seem like there are a lot of reports of theft but it is still quite rare. However, you do want peace of mind, so leave your luggage at your accommodation before you go exploring, if you can.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
214 reviews
456 helpful votes
4. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

Just make sure all your things are locked away in the boot. Maybe bring your passports and wallet with you in the very unlikely chance someone breaks into the car.u certainly wouldn't let the very unlikely chance of something happening cause me to alter my plans.

Maryland
Level Contributor
12,104 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

What type of vehicle have you rented for 6 pax ? SUV ? Minivan ? You are going to need a larger vehicle with 6 pax + luggage + etc.

The safety aspect is trying to keep all the luggage out of site while it is parked.

😎

Lincroft, New Jersey
11 posts
6. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

We will be getting 2 cars.

Maryland
Level Contributor
12,104 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

I’m sure I will be criticized for this but I always peel-off the big visible rental sticker on the windshield and put it into the glove box until it’s time to return the car and just re-stick it.

I try to minimize the Tourist flag as much as possible.

😎

Kildare
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
29 reviews
14 helpful votes
8. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

Sunny, I do that too when I rent abroad. If an obviously rental car is parked, it suggests 'goodies in the boot' to those up to no good. I peel off the sticker, take valuables with me, and make sure everything else is hidden out of sight.

To the OP - There are hundreds of thousands of people who hire and park their cars with no issue. They're unlikely to make a big song and dance about not being robbed, unlike those who are unfortunately targeted by the minority who want to steal from people.

Lincroft, New Jersey
11 posts
9. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

Good idea, thanks Sunny.

Edited: 1 year ago
Lincroft, New Jersey
11 posts
10. Re: Storing Luggage
Save

Von_10, I'm sure you're right, just sounded a little alarming.

Get answers to your questions about Wicklow
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.