We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Day Trips from Powerscourt?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
58 reviews
146 helpful votes
Best Day Trips from Powerscourt?
Save

We will be traveling to Wicklow for about ten days in early July. We will base out of the Powerscourt Hotel.

This is our first visit to Ireland but we do not want to race around the country trying to hit as many sights as possible. My teenaged son (17), husband and I would like to get to have a relaxing trip and soak up the local culture.

That said, we would like to plan a couple of day trips within 2-4 hours by car. We will return to our hotel every day.

We are also interested in day trips by boat and would like to know which is best. We plan to go into Dublin a few times but I would love to find boat outings that depart from near Powerscourt rather than Dublin if those exist.

thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
559 posts
111 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Best Day Trips from Powerscourt?
Save

Spoiled for choice as far as day trips from that location! You might look at the following and see how they line up with your interests:

Kilkenny (Dunmore Cave might interest on the way or added to the midlands idea below)

Birr (maybe hit Kilbeggan on the way :))

Clonmacnoise (could do Kilbeggan this day instead)

Cashel

Glendalough

Wexford

And I have a fondness for the midlands - you could put together a fun and low key off the beaten path road trip that would include Abbeyleix (Morrisey's pub), Rock of Dunamase, Timahoe Round Tower, Heywood Gardens (although you might've had your fill of gardens at Powerscourt)

If you like hiking there are a number of charted hikes for all skill levels in the Slieve Bloom Mtns.

I'll leave waterside/boat trip ideas to those more informed than me.

Edited: 2 years ago
2. Re: Best Day Trips from Powerscourt?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2019, 22:40
Get answers to your questions about Wicklow
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.