We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterford to Kilmacow?

Which Waterford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hillsborough, NJ
1 post
Save Topic
Waterford to Kilmacow?

I am looking to visit Kilmacow (Co. Kilkenny) while in Dublin this fall, and am wondering if I can get there from Waterford? Whether it be by bus, taxi, etc. My family hails from there, and I would love to see where I am from.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterford to Kilmacow?

There is a bus, but it only runs on Thursdays.

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202386863-365.pdf

This is one suggestion: Train to Thomastown early morning, arriving 9.20. Bus 10.15 to Kilmacow. You would have to ask for the bus stop, it is not easy to find.

Then either return to Thomastown at 13.42, or go on to Waterford at 14.50.

Unless you really have something special to do three or four hours in Kilmacow is more than enough.

Remember, these itineraries are only possible on Thursdays.

Alternatively, a taxi from Waterford would not cost the earth as it is not too far, but could be around 50 euros for the return journey.

I hope others will have some more suggestions. There could be a private local bus operating from Waterford which I don't know about.

Ireland
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterford to Kilmacow?

I wouldnt go as far as Thomastown, its 20 miles north of Waterford whereas Kilmacow is only about 3 or 4 miles. You are probably better off getting a taxi as the village itself is fairly small so you may be looking for some townland outside of it. Do you know the name of the townland?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterford to Kilmacow?

The rationale for getting off the train in Thomastown is that the Thomastown/Waterford bus leaves later in the morning. To travel by train all the way to Waterford means that OP would miss the morning bus out to Kilmacow. It makes perfect sense if you study the timetable in the link I gave along with the train timetable.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterford to Kilmacow?

There used to be a bus that went from the Quay in Waterford to Kilmacow, I think it was Suirway, not sure if it still runs. You're best bet would be to ask at the bus station on the Quay when you're in Waterford. There is surely an easier way to get there than go all the way to Thomastown - they will have local bus info there.

southampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterford to Kilmacow?

Hi there, Kilmacow is best reached by Taxi from Waterford, Bus services don't go there, its about a 20 minute car ride.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterford to Kilmacow?

Again, as I understand it the OP is staying in Dublin not Waterford. I am assuming he/she will be getting the train or bus to Waterford in an effort to reach Kilmacow. Which is why I suggested getting the Thursday bus from Thomastown - both the bus and train pass through T'town on the way to Waterford. There is method in my suggestion.

Suirway don't seem to do a bus to Kilmacow, but there might be a similar company that run one if. It could be an ideal to phone Suirway and ask if they know. Their number is 353 (0)51 382 209.

7. Re: Waterford to Kilmacow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 06:19