We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying 3-4 nights in Sligo Town in September, 2011 - Ideas?

Which Sligo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Staying 3-4 nights in Sligo Town in September, 2011 - Ideas?

I've received some good recommendations for The Glasshouse for a hotel and Pearse and Tree Top for B&B's and continue to be interested in all of them.

I like the location of The Glasshouse best BUT prefer the idea of staying in a B&B. (I know that the Glasshouse has a breakfast option, but it's still a hotel.)

SO I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback about An Cruiscin Lan? (Yes, I've read the reviews on TA, but it's always difficult to evaluate them as far as helpfulness.) Would tick both boxes of location and being a B&B.

I'm looking for a single ensuite, off street parking and being in walking distance to pubs with trad music. As I said on my similar post for Adara, a good breakfast is important as well as a friendly proprietor. I won't be spending a whole lot of time in the B&B...mainly to sleep and for breakfast.

(I still haven't ruled out Tubbercurry for a night or two, either, but think Sligo will probably work best for me.)

Thoughts? Critiques? Suggestions?

Keith

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying 3-4 nights in Sligo Town in September, 2011 - Ideas?

The reviews of An Cruiscin Lan on TA are quite difficult to decipher and it doesn't get a lot of praise on the Sligo pages over on boards.ie (sometimes a good 'reality check' against TA) Keith but, like TA, boards.ie is another open access forum that is open to vendettas and fraud so it would again be difficult to base an opinion on them. As you know we've reported a few knowingly fraudulent posts on the Sligo forum to TA (not about An Cruiscin Lan we hasten to add which, looking at the information as presented, is somewhere that we would quite possibly 'give it a go' ourselves) and they have refused to take them down as they didn't feel that our word/opinion, despite being DE for the area, was good enough (!) so we throw our arms up in the air about the whole thing and just get on with passing on information and personal experiences...

The one piece of advice that we have ourselves followed before, however, would be to send of a PM to a couple of the reviewers of An Cruiscin Lan (preferably the ones with a good history of posting on TA and not one-post wonders) and ask for some 1:1 feedback from them - not everyone replies but, in our experience, most do. We've also had folk PM about some of our reviews and we have always given our honest replies...

As far as the location of An Cruiscin Lan goes it is indeed pretty central, being in some of the terraced back streets of 'downtown' as you would say which may/may not appeal to everyone, and the Hawks Well Theatre is literally right round the corner. On a definite plus point they do advertise free parking which would be essential for the centre of town!

Edited: 28 October 2010, 09:19
West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying 3-4 nights in Sligo Town in September, 2011 - Ideas?

Thanks ragoora! And thanks for taking the time out in your prep for your trip. You must be leaving tomorrow or Saturday?

Sounds like a good plan to PM. (I've even received a few myself and always respond with what I see as the truth.) If I don't run into any red flags, I might just give it a go.

I have dropped down to Google Street View both for An Cruiscin Lan and Pearse B&B. Both seemed fine for me. For some reason I seem to be drawn to Sligo town itself on this, a trip focusing on rural scenery. So maybe a bit inconsistent. :) I like the idea of walking around the centre at night for dinner, for pubs, for music. Of course it would work just fine from Pearse or Tree Tops as well, but probably better from An Cruiscin Lan.

(On another note, with the 'move' to Sligo town rather than Tubbercurry, I was wondering how to still work in the Michael Coleman Traditional Irish Music Centre. I noticed that Gurteen is just 16 km from Boyle. So I'm thinking of running out there and back after lunch and my Boyle Abbey visit on 'jet lag' day, depending on how I'm feeling and the time of day. Then on up to Carrowkeel.)

Keith

West Terre Haute...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying 3-4 nights in Sligo Town in September, 2011 - Ideas?

Stayed in Sligo last week.Wonderful B&B Iorras B&B! It is on Rosses Point Rd....Ita Connolly is the owner and she was wonderful to us! It is less than 5 min. from Sligo downtown...e-mail address is connollyiorras@eircom.net.

Be careful at Yeats Grave....had our car broken into and stuff taken....make sure you have all your valuables w/ you when you leave the car or park as close to cemetery as possible. It happens all the time there!

4. Re: Staying 3-4 nights in Sligo Town in September, 2011 - Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 05:18