We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route to Trim

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Most scenic route to Trim

I want to drive from Cashel to Trim. Is the more scenic route via Roscrea and Tullamore or Portlaoise and Kildare. Time is not a problem

3 replies to this topic
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Most scenic route to Trim

Nether route is particularly scenic. I would take the more direct route via Portlaoise and Kildare. If shopping is on your agenda, there is a nice shopping outlet called Kildare Village, just beside the motorway. The Japanese gardens and National Stud are also nearby

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Most scenic route to Trim

On the other hand I would go via Roscrea which despite the super new Tesco store has ancient and religious roots and well worth an hour or more. Then up to Birr for a look at the Castle grounds and telescope. Pub lunch and the country route to Tullamore (nice new rd) for the Herritage centre. then on to Trim.

Combine both routes and drive over the Slieve Bloom from Birr to Portlaoise if yo want really scenic. You could race through in under 3 hours but then you could easily take a couple of days..

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Most scenic route to Trim

Thank you both very much

Reply to: Most scenic route to Trim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tullamore