We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?

Michigan
Level Contributor
341 posts
5 reviews
24 helpful votes
How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

We would like to stay in a small town and travel from there during the day. We love to visit the pubs and hear the irish music. Would Tullamore be a good place for about 20 people to stay? Are there any 4 or 5 star hotels in Tullamore? I will research this also but your help is much appreciated.

The Blue Apron Restaurant
€€ - €€€, Irish, International, European
Captain House Restaurant
€€ - €€€, French, Irish, Seafood
Shishir - Thai & Indian Cuisine
€€ - €€€, Indian, Asian, Thai
17 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
119 reviews
77 helpful votes
1. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

Where do you intend to travel to?

Tullamore is not really a tourist town, you may find it hard to find a music session advertised.It has hosted the Fleadh twice,and there is a local ceili band so you might find a real not for tourist show session.

Tullamore is a large town by Irish standards.Population about 14,000.

There are two hotels in the town, The Bridge House, right in the centre of the town. The other hotel, the Tullamore court is a little further out but would be quieter as it is set back from the road.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,276 posts
146 reviews
84 helpful votes
2. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

I agree with Harvey. Tullamore is, by Irish standards, a large town. It is not noted as a tourist destination, being more of a large county town, typical of the Midlands. That said, it will give you a taste of the true Ireland, and the Tullamore Court is a fine modern hotel.

Michigan
Level Contributor
341 posts
5 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

Thanks for your help. Many of my family have been to Ireland many times so they have done many tourist trips and

love the true Irish towns. Some of us have not been as many times so we want to be in bigger areas. I would probably want to stay in Cork but some say the City has gotten too big. My Uncle Pat has been many times and loves the pubs so now we are thinking about Kilkenney. Would that be a good place to stay and travel from?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
21,151 posts
79 reviews
98 helpful votes
4. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

I like Tullamore and have had many a good time there. Its not really a tourist spot, great for an overnight but not to use as a touring base. Kilkenny I would be tempted to put in the same category although far more Tourist friendly and more options within the 2 hour radius that I tend to use. You are not compelled to stay inside a City or its direct suburbs most cities including Cork have smaller satellite towns. How about using two or three bases assuming you have 7days or more on the Island. Personally I am not one to be tied down whilst away and wouldn't think of going to one place for a full week unless it was for a special event.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,276 posts
146 reviews
84 helpful votes
5. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

For me Kilkenny would be a better place to stay than Tullamore - more to see and do

I wouldn't say Cork City has got too big. Certainly there has been significant development in the dormitory towns outside the city, but Cork itself remains quite compact - a lot to do with the geography of the city. It is one of my favourite places.

I would be at one with Tony2phones and would suggest that you consider a two-centre break.

Michigan
Level Contributor
341 posts
5 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

Thank you for this good information. I would love to stay in Cork but I am only one of the group. The last time the group went I couldn't make the trip. They had a bus and stayed in many towns but they don't want to move around as much this time.

7. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 14:05

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland, Ireland
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
8. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

The dates of your proposed visit will be helpful as well as the length of your stay.

As a general rule, more events happen during the summer and at weekends or a specific weekday.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
214 reviews
456 helpful votes
9. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

I think the OP was visiting in 2011 - wonder how they got on and where did they go. Strange that the thread didn't close down considering it was almost 3 years old when bhoyGreenock resurrected it. Hopefully it will be helpful to someone and now we know where to go if we want a good pub in Tullamore :-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
21,151 posts
79 reviews
98 helpful votes
10. Re: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Save

Perhaps time to resume the hunt for the Tullamore Beer Monster??

Reply to: How big a town is Tullamore? How many pub? Irish Music?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tullamore
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.